If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.


Postby papernuke » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:47 am

In 2D geometry, a polygon with three sides is a triange. 4 sides is a square, 5 pentagon, 6 hexagon etc. etc. Shouldnt the square be called a tessagon because it has four sides and is a polygon? What is the "numerical" part of "square"? for example pentagon's "numerical" part is "penta".
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: California, US of A

Postby zero » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 am

Don't forget "trigon!"

Ultimately, you can call them whatever you want, as names are -- in a sense -- arbitrary. However, you may find that an idiosyncratic naming convention can impede effective communication with others.
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:45 am
Location: Florida

Re: square/tessagon

Postby Keiji » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 am

papernuke wrote:Shouldnt the square be called a tessagon

No, it should be called a tetragon.
User avatar
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Torquay, England

Postby wendy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:24 am

sQUARe and QUARter.

Seriously, you can use either quadralateral, or even tetragon. But square is a specific instance of these, being equilateral + equiangular.

PG also admits 'tetralatron' (4-2patches), and *prismahedron 'patch formed by prism-product', beside *tegmahedron (patch by tegum-product).
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.
User avatar
Posts: 1846
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:42 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Return to Where Should I Post This?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest