2D 1st person video game

Discuss interdimensional programming, Java applets and so forth.

2D 1st person video game

Postby PWrong » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:20 am

To get a better understanding of living in 2 dimensions, I think we should try to make a simple game where you play as Dosha the Washtaq and see the world through his eyes (i.e. in a line)?

We currently have 2D games in the 3rd person, and 3D games in the 1st person, but a 2D game in the 1st person would be original, easy for a programmer to make, and it could be set in the world of Myrandia. The screen would just be a vertical line, about a centimeter thick.

I can't make this game myself, because I don't know any programming languages. But since there's a lot of programmers on this forum, I thought one of you might be interested.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:35 am

All I can think of is some kind of shooter game, where the main person enters a field of objects.
However this looks to me like the same thing as existing shooter programs where one enters a building, without staircases though only the first floor can be used.
Though existing programs using 3d characters, I can easily imagine viewing those without height in the characters, nor objects.
I think just play such a thing without using staircases, and ignoring also shadows (I don't know whether there are shadows in 2d, flat light might reflect off a body casting some faint image somewhere, so it might be possible).

Some game programmer, who can set these parametes in his program?
:lol: :lol:
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:59 am

Rather than a game without height, like Flatland, I was thinking of a game without any width, like the description on this site, with Fred and war in 2D. The player can see a thin vertical line, can move forwards or backwards, and can move his sword up or down. Features like shadows would be neccessary, and the character would have a see-through arm. It would be hard to get used to, but more simple in principle than an ordinary shooter.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby elpenmaster » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:36 am

one could actually even have a 1-d game, where all you saw was a point, if the point changed color, you would have to shoot
but that would be just slightly boring
:D
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby RQ » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:49 pm

Slightly?
RQ
Tetronian

Postby elpenmaster » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 am

actually, you could probably make a lote of money selling the game to 1-d people
but the money would be 1-d, unfortunately
:cry:
elpenmaster
Trionian

Postby Breserk » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:27 pm

POINT MONEY! YAAAY!!

More seriousley, though, I could have done this.
If I only didn't need to program it in three dimensions. The way I see this, the only way to do it is to program a 3-d game that has a Z axis of about 5-10 pixels and then putting the camera in a way that'd look to X+ direction, at Z=2 or something like that.
I only program 2-d.
Breserk
Mononian

Postby pat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:21 pm

Another possibility of a 1-d game is something like a fox chasing a rabbit sort of game. Imagine that you're 1-d... and you light up. But, the amount of light you get reflected back to you falls off (linearly) with distance. There's a rabbit in your 1-space. It runs toward the light for a bit, but when it feels the light is moving toward it, it runs away. It's got slightly better acceleration and a slightly better top speed than you do. So, you have to stay really still in wait for it until it comes close enough for you to pounce. It still has to deccelerate and get moving in the opposite direction, so you've got a window of opportunity. Your window is bigger the more it has to deccelerate and the closer it is to you.

This same game works just as well (which is to say "is probably every bit as boring") in Flatland (no-width variety). You could extend this to three-person freeze-tag (in either 1-space or Flatland). Or even monkey-in-the-middle (pickle-in-the-middle) in Flatland (no-width variety).

I'm currently working on a different Flatland (no-width variety) game and have the start of some No-Height-Land games in the works, too. They're all on very back burners at the moment, though.
pat
Tetronian

Postby RQ » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:19 am

For flatland:
How about the original: ping-pong.
I know there is a 3D pong game and it used to be at funnyjunk.com, but it doesn't work there anymore.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:52 pm

The original 2D ping pong, like all 2D games, is viewed from the 3rd dimension, but I'm sure a 1st person version 2D ping pong would be really simple to make.

All you can see is a long black line on your screen (like the blue task bar on Windows). The ball is a yellow line segment that gets bigger as it moves closer, the other player's racquet is a white line that moves left and right, and your racquet is transparent so you can see where the ball is. What a boring game:!:
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:35 pm

Breserk wrote:If I only didn't need to program it in three dimensions. The way I see this, the only way to do it is to program a 3-d game that has a Z axis of about 5-10 pixels and then putting the camera in a way that'd look to X+ direction, at Z=2 or something like that.
I only program 2-d.

Well, it's possible to do that without 3D technology.

Look at a typical 2D Sonic game for instance. Well, you're facing right.

Now here's how to convert the view from 2D 3rd person to 2D 1st person.

1. Get rid of all the pixels left of the character's eyes.
2. Now, make each column smaller. For the column X pixels along in a view of Y pixels width, multiply the column's height by (Y-X+1)/Y.
3. Overlap the columns, with the leftmost one being in front, and the rightmost one being at the back.
4. Finally, stretch the now-1-pixel-wide picture so it fills the entire screen.

See? Not that hard is it? :D

Also, to change a world without height to 1st person (say an RPG game):

1. Rotate the whole world so that your character is facing upwards.
2. Get rid of all the pixels below the character's eyes.
3. Make each row smaller. For the row X pixels from the top in a view of Y pixels height, multiply the columns height by X/Y.
4. Overlap the rows, with the bottommost one being in front, and the topmost one being at the back.
5. Finally, stretch the now-1-pixel-high picture so it fills the entire screen.

That's a bit harder, but still easy.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby PWrong » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:27 am

Yes! That's exactly what I meant. Thanks Bob. :D
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:07 am

[ot]Say, why doesn't anyone apart from me have avatars?[/ot]
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Nick » Sat May 06, 2006 1:04 pm

I was wandering around the old Q&A topics and I found this.

I could probably make a game like this in QBasic... just wait till the summer, when school's out :wink:.

*moves to Programming forum*
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 pm

i dont get how that could be possible, because the screen would just be all these lines that you dont even know what they are
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Icon wrote:i dont get how that could be possible, because the screen would just be all these lines that you dont even know what they are

Its easily possible. The lines can be determined by color differences.
postcount++;

Nick
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:45 am

If a game like that was made, then wouldn't it be out of buisness, because when you play it, all you see is a couple of lines :?:
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:46 am

Icon wrote:If a game like that was made, then wouldn't it be out of buisness, because when you play it, all you see is a couple of lines :?:

You could make the lines thicker, so it would look more like 3d blocks. Then, as you play and get more used to it, you can make the "world" thinner, until you get to the thinest possible: one pixel.

To tell the truth, I didn't even start this yet. Too busy with my new job 8)
postcount++;

Nick
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:09 am

But then the blocks would still have no features and you wouldn't know what your hitting (or shooting or whatever). Also, it would still look like a line (but thicker).
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:21 am

And what's wrong with that? You get used to it at a moment. :)
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Return to Programming