Important - Domain Name & Citations - Now with Poll

Discussion of known convex regular-faced polytopes, including the Johnson solids in 3D, and higher dimensions; and the discovery of new ones.

Preferred Domain?

higher.space
92%
4dplus.info
No votes
polyg.onl
No votes
Other (please reply with your suggestion)
8%

Total votes : 12

Important - Domain Name & Citations - Now with Poll

Postby Keiji » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm

It's come to my attention some people intend on linking to the HDDB forum and wiki here from printed articles.

Of course I have no problem with this in principle, but currently HDDB is on a subdomain of something originally set up for my own personal shenanigans:

hddb.teamikaria.com

which could theoretically vanish without notice - even if I were to hand the HDDB website over to someone else.

I know this website has moved around several times in its history and you must be quite bored of moves by now ;) - but I propose moving the website one final time to get rid of the personal legacy here.

I have reserved geom.moe as a candidate permanent new location for HDDB. Nice and short; geom**, short for geometry, and .moe is a new TLD* useful for hobbies and happens to be geom backwards without the g!

*moe comes from the Japanese Otaku hobby culture but I think it can apply just as well to hobbies in general which HDDB is; more suitable than a .com (we are not commercial), .org (we are not an organisation) and .net (we are not an ISP). There are no restrictions on content/usage of .moe domains.

If anyone has any better suggestions for available domains (or domains they would like to donate!) please let me know; if I receive no feedback or there is no consensus I will move the site to geom.moe in several months' time.

Whatever domain is chosen, there will not be another move after this one (under my authority anyway), and should I permanently leave the scene or become unable to maintain the website and thus hand over the site the chosen domain will be handed over as well. teamikaria.com on the other hand will not be handed over to anyone and may in the long term cease to exist.

**I will add that I was required to read a European Trademark notice for the word "geom", covering metals, building materials, furniture and goods. I don't think that'll be a problem though, as we have nothing to do with those classes, nor are we even commercial in the first place :)
Keiji
Administrator

Re: Important - Domain Name & Citations

Postby quickfur » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm not sure I particularly like the .moe domain, but in principle I agree that we need a permanent domain name, esp. if we're going to be linking to stuff from published articles! And I think we've come up with a significant body of research here on this forum, even if it's mostly contributed by "hobbyists"(!), so having a more permanent home for HDDB sounds like something necessary for the future. So, personal nitpickings aside, I support the move to geom.moe.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:23 pm

quickfur wrote:I'm not sure I particularly like the .moe domain [...] even if it's mostly contributed by "hobbyists"(!)

I know what you're saying, and I'm not fully convinced about using .moe myself - people who are linking to the site from academic articles are probably not just doing it as a hobby.

However, I think I'm pretty safe to say that the site started as a hobby and most of the results found here were done as hobbies so it's at least somewhat fitting.

But not being fully convinced is exactly why I'm open to others' suggestions. I don't feel it should have a .com, .net or .org, but it's not like I can give it a .ac or anything...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby student91 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:08 pm

I found this website with all possible tlds. Though this site is rather unclear in explaining what the extensions mean, it does give you all possible tlds. One of them is .wiki, which might also be used for our final destination. Though I don't personally have a problem with the .moe extension, as long as the url doesn't change I don't mind what it looks like.
How easily one gives his confidence to persons who know how to give themselves the appearance of more knowledge, when this knowledge has been drawn from a foreign source.
-Stern/Multatuli/Eduard Douwes Dekker
student91
Tetronian

Postby ICN5D » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 pm

I kind of like the idea of .wiki. This site does have one, and it'll get better with time. Not to mention how it may be the only source of info on toratopes and CRFs for a while.

.moe feels like a bunch of computer nerd hobbyists, who spend a lot of time of a computer. Which we are ( at least I am ) :)

.wiki feels like an encyclopedia of knowledge derived from novel mathematical ideas and principles. Which it also is.
in search of combinatorial objects of finite extent
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 pm

What about .info? After all, hddb is all about providing (and researching) info on 4D and higher objects.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:29 pm

.info is a good one, too. I like them both. So, are we talking HDDB.info ? or, HDDB.wiki , or something to that effect?
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 am

I've always had a tendency to stay away from .info domains as it seems they're very often used for distributing viruses, pirated software and other unsavory content. Though I don't know if that's just my experience :|

As for .wiki it's a good one but would kind of imply the whole site was a wiki, which it's not.

I also kinda want to get away from the "HDDB" name - it's not a very pleasing acronym, IMO. I'd rather something like geom.info if I were to go for a .info.

Seeing that .space has been reserved as a TLD I've had my eye on higher.space but sadly it's not launched yet and no news on when it will be :(
Keiji
Administrator

Postby ICN5D » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Oooh, .space is good one, too. I agree with changing HDDB, try google searching those letters, you'll see what I mean. Anything like .4D , or the like? Usually something short and sweet works the best. Too long, and its easy to forget.
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Googling for "geom" also has the same problem.

I glanced over the list of TLD's, and a few good ones are .org, .info, or .onl. I know .org is supposed to be for non-profit organizations, but I think it's broad enough that it's not horrible. Unfortunately the spammers seem to have taken a liking to .info, though I do recall finding a few good, informative sites on .info, so hopefully it's not bad enough to warrant trigger-happy ISP's to ban .info outright. I quite like higher.space, but since .space isn't available yet, I think geometry.onl might be a good candidate. Or geom.onl. I've to admit I'm not particularly keen on .moe; it seems more appropriate for fiction like comics or image galleries.

But at the end of the day, the important thing is to have a permanent home for hddb (or whatever it will end up being called). I'm one of those people who think that URLs are just arbitrary identifiers, not much more, and I'm not overly concerned about supposedly "ugly" URLs. So whatever it ends up being, is OK by me. (As long as it's not .xxx or something like that!)
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:36 pm

I've to admit I'm not particularly keen on .moe; it seems more appropriate for fiction like comics or image galleries.

That's why I'm also hesitant to use it.

quickfur wrote:I think geometry.onl might be a good candidate. Or geom.onl.

How about polyg.onl (as in, polygonal)?

I know, it'd be nice to have something about higher dimensions in there, but it's relevant (although googling for "polygonl" also comes up with some interesting results)! :)
Keiji
Administrator

Postby quickfur » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm

I like polyg.onl, it's very clever. But it fails to capture the wealth of non-polygonal objects we study here. ;) Like toratopes.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:49 am

http://radixregistry.com/dot-space/

.space is out there. Along with some others, like .site . Looks promising, I'd be down with it. higher.space is easy to remember and relates. Why not?
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 am

Oh, hmm. Well, Gandi don't do it :(
Keiji
Administrator

Postby ICN5D » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 am

Any updates on a new domain, Keiji?
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:39 pm

How about: 4dplus.info ?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby quickfur » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Why 4dplus instead of something more readily recognizable, like 4dspace.info or 4dgeom.info or something along those lines?
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Klitzing » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:14 am

Well quickfur, -space and -geom are more specific to most of the topics here.
But Keiji's 4Dplus not sticks to 4D only but explicitely includes other dimensions too.

What about our current subtitle "Higher Dimensions" itself, perhaps slightly shortend to "HighDim"?
(This at least would not imply any shift of direction.)

--- rk
Klitzing
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:02 pm

Ohhh I see... maybe it should be 4plusd.info instead? :XP:
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Klitzing wrote:What about our current subtitle "Higher Dimensions" itself, perhaps slightly shortend to "HighDim"?

I have been trying to move away from the "Higher Dimensions" name actually, it doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

Klitzing wrote:(This at least would not imply any shift of direction.)

I don't think 4dplus.info would imply a shift of direction, it means "4 dimensions or higher" which is virtually the same thing as the current name.

quickfur wrote:Ohhh I see... maybe it should be 4plusd.info instead? :XP:

That reads more like 4 + d, as in some kind of equation. "plus" is often used to mean "or higher", hence 4dplus -> "4 dimensions or higher". (Yes "4 or higher dimensions" can mean the same thing but it doesn't sound quite so good and is technically ambiguous.) Also the "dp" next to each other in "dplus" looks more aesthetically pleasing, in terms of typesetting, than "sd" does at the end of "plusd".
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Keiji » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:08 pm

.space goes Sunrise on November 17th, so I'd imagine GA will follow a couple months later. That said, I've created a poll at the top of this thread.

If there are new suggestions that I approve of, I will add them to the poll (which will reset all votes).

The poll will run until some consensus is reached, a majority vote does not necessarily indicate that domain will be chosen.

I have voted "other" just so I can see the results without influencing them.
Keiji
Administrator

Re: Important - Domain Name & Citations - Now with Poll

Postby student91 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:42 pm

.space is out there!
GA at 28th of January. :D
How easily one gives his confidence to persons who know how to give themselves the appearance of more knowledge, when this knowledge has been drawn from a foreign source.
student91
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:09 am

Lost it to these guys. Isn't it wonderful that I only maintain this site as a side hobby :(

Back to the drawing board...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby ICN5D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Oh no, so that was the higher.space domain? Well, hmm. How about something along the lines of 'hypershape' or 'polyshape' , or similar?
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby student91 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Or what about place4higher.space, it has an alliteration, so it is easily memorized, and it has higher.space in it. :lol:
student91
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:48 pm

I have registered gher.space, which sounds silly until you realise that the site will actually be at http://hi.gher.space/ :D

I must thank what was once del.icio.us for giving me the idea. :)

If everyone is happy with this name becoming the permanent location for the site, the next thing to discuss is how to migrate to the new domain name and update links etc. as I'm aware there was a bit of an upset last time.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:52 am

Cool, the domain hi.gher.space also has a polychoron mentioned in it, (Hi = 120-cell) :D . A projection of this shape would make a great icon for hi.gher.space. Another polychoron counterpart also sounds nice - gohi.gher.space. Other polychoron counterparts would sound a bit strange though: pen.gher.space, tes.gher.space, ico.gher.space, ex.gher.space, gofix.gher.space, etc. :P.

P.S. Happy Srip Day folks - - - :\ - - hint - Srip's symbol is xoxo :XP:
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby Keiji » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:03 am

Figures you would extrapolate that :D

For the icon, how's this? Took it from Hi on the wiki.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby wendy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:37 am

Don't worry Jonathan. Richard's got a number of polytopes in the works where gher can be made the prefix for it.

:)
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:16 am

Looks good Keiji.

I'll be looking forward to Richard's latest polytopes.
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Next

Return to CRF Polytopes