Travelling with the fourth dimension

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

Travelling with the fourth dimension

Postby X-Calibur » Fri May 28, 2004 4:42 am

I have often seen videos and articles of the fourth dimension, and have even talked to scientists about it, and they talk about how we will never be able to effectively travel into/in space until we fully understand what the fourth dimension is. I have three questions:
1)in general how does or will the fourth dimension effect how we travel
2)is there a reason why I have only heard of the fourth dimension relative to outer space
3)I have seen how the fourth works but I have not heard how it will advance us in any way other than travelling at the speed of light. If the fourth dimension is understood, what then? What are the possibilitis that the fourth dimension can bring?

Lets see what you can give me...
Thanks,
Max
X-Calibur
Nullonian

Postby tezza98 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:00 am

i1.in hte fourth dimension, you will be able to exist anywhere in the physical realm, at any time, in essence you will be able to travel through time, and space, existing in every moment of time in every point of the universe.
2. the fourth dimension should be seen as as relative to the entire physical world.
the forth dimension will ultimatly bring the entire existance of the world to a halt, in the forth dimension there will be purely thought, as i see it, and a person can exist anywhere in space an dtime they choose, each person will be pure thought, with no time. basically each person wil be thier own god
tezza98
Mononian

Postby Geosphere » Fri May 28, 2004 11:53 am

1: X-Cal: No one knows.
1: Tezza: Not if the fourth dimension is a tiny pocket dimension. See above.

2: X-Cal: You haven't read enough ;)
2: Tezza: You read too much science fiction

3: X-Cal: see issue 1.

The stuff is so theoretical, all we can do is make educated guesses at the math of 4D, which is kind of almost agreed upon. But is it huge or tiny? Spatial or conceptual? Existant or imagined?
Geosphere
Trionian

Re: Travelling with the fourth dimension

Postby Keiji » Sat May 29, 2004 2:32 pm

X-Calibur wrote:I have often seen videos and articles of the fourth dimension, and have even talked to scientists about it, and they talk about how we will never be able to effectively travel into/in space until we fully understand what the fourth dimension is. I have three questions:
2)is there a reason why I have only heard of the fourth dimension relative to outer space
3)I have seen how the fourth works but I have not heard how it will advance us in any way other than travelling at the speed of light. If the fourth dimension is understood, what then? What are the possibilitis that the fourth dimension can bring?

Thanks,
Max

1. if realmspace is curved within tetraspace, we can travel (relatively to our realm) faster than the speed of light.
2. what?
3. here is one advantage

Tezza, you read (and believe) way too much science fiction.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby PWrong » Mon May 31, 2004 9:41 am

Geosphere wrote:The stuff is so theoretical, all we can do is make educated guesses at the math of 4D, which is kind of almost agreed upon.

How much of 4D maths is theoretical? Is it mostly a subject for entertaining discussions, and for making cool animations of polychora, or is it actually used for something?

I know extra-dimensional physics is entirely theoretical, and there are a few theories there, but is 4D maths consistent yet? It certainly seems that way.
PWrong
Pentonian

Re: Travelling with the fourth dimension

Postby Euclid » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:23 am

X-Calibur wrote:I have often seen videos and articles of the fourth dimension, and have even talked to scientists about it, and they talk about how we will never be able to effectively travel into/in space until we fully understand what the fourth dimension is. I have three questions:

Thanks,
Max

1) The fourth dimension doesn't effect how we travel at all, unless you want to argue that everything is affected by activity at the string level. As to what role it (the 4th dimension) may play later, there is great speculation regarding the use of it as a path from one point to another, possibly a much shorter path to travel over than the spatial dimensions we now know.

2) Most likely you haven't read enough or are reading in a restricted domain. The most viable discussions of the 4th (and other) dimensions occur in the super-microscopic space of superstring theory.

3) At this juncture there is only speculation. The scientist who will unlock dimensional secrets may not be born yet, or he or she might be one of the teenagers who frequents this board. Stay tuned, study hard, above all, keep thinking. Do a Google on "Edward Witten". He is possibly the world's current greatest living genius on the dimensional issues associated with string theory.
Euclid
Dionian

Return to Where Should I Post This?