Prove of the 4th Dimension by light?

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Prove of the 4th Dimension by light?

Postby spikey » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Hey there,

Do the following points show the excistance of the 4th dimension.?

Sound is know 2 dimensional vibration that expands in the 3rd dimension.
Light is known to be a 3 dimensional electromagnetic vibration. THis im plies that it's likely that it will expand into the 4th dimension.

A verification to this could be that the speed of light is constant (3.10^8) and no matter how fast we travel it will always stay this fast compared to us as to others not traveling this fast. although this concept is mind boggling it is the special theory of relativity of einstein that is globally acceptad as being true.

now when we observe a vibration (string bound to a pole) from a 2 dimensional world we will no be able to see the traveling of the vibration in the 3rd dimension. and therefore i will look inert, besides the small fluxtuations at the top and bottom of the "line".

When we transfer this thought to us observing light expanding in the 4th dimension we will only see the minor fluxtuations. what thes fluxtuations would be i don't know meaybe it's constant speed since a constant velocity is physically similar to being being motionless depending from the point of view.

has anyone some thought on this?
spikey
Nullonian

Postby alkaline » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:00 pm

your theory doesn't sound likely to me.

sound is created by vibrations, and vibrations are limited to the dimension they occur in. In realmspace, sound can come from a point source, a linear source, a plane source, or even a realmic source. Thus, it isn't a "2-dimensional vibration". Whatever the dimension of the source creating the vibrations, it expands into 3d space.

Light is of a different nature than sound. Photons travel through space as wave units bound to three dimensions. I'm not sure what you mean by light being a 3-dimensional vibration.
alkaline
Founder

Postby RQ » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:48 pm

Spikey, I think you're just thinking of the wave structure of a sound wave as being 3D when in fact there is a wave flow or something (forgot what it was called) when all the photons of the sound wave travel in one direction, and it wouldn't be 2 dimensional.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby alkaline » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:00 pm

RQ, you don't make sense - sound waves don't have photons. Sound waves are waves of vibration moving through matter, and it can't exist in space. Light waves can exist in space though, and it travels in "wave units" called photons. If sound or light are travelling in one direction and they reach a place where they can spread out, they can do so - it's a property of waves.
alkaline
Founder

Postby RQ » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:55 pm

Must have gotten confused, I was sure I read somewhere about sound and photons.
RQ
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions