4d black holes

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:59 am

PWrong wrote:Alkaline, does that mean gravity in 2D drops off with the inverse of the distance? I'm studying gravitation in physics this year, and most of the questions are in 2D, just for simplicity, but the equation is the same. Also, stable orbits are just 2D circles in the 3D universe, so why would the extra dimension have any effect?

Yes, I also found it comming out of the blue, the suggestion the Gravity would behave like 1/R[sup]d[/sup]. I can't remember the Newtonian derivation of Gravity, but I doubt that this generalizes to the proposed formula. For me gravity is an inverse distance squared force (ie proportional to 1/R[sup]2[/sup]) no matter what dimension, I see no difference in the two point-particle problem associated with gravity depending on the dimension it is posed in.

Those 2d questions you refer to are flat representation of real 3d problems, and not supposed to represent bionian physics! (the book is 2d material :lol: )
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:22 pm

I just thought the reduction of gravity in tetraspace happened by inverse cube because of the same effect tetraspace would have on the reduction of other energy (like light) by distance.
alkaline
Founder

Previous

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions