2D Birds

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

2D Birds

Postby Jay » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:42 am

I think that birds could exist in 2D, but they would be in a strange configuration. One wing would would have to be in front, and the other in back to achieve flight. I guess it would have to flap the back one harder to move forward.

I wonder how a 4D bird would operate?
Jay
Trionian

Postby sup2069 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:34 am

lol

Im guessing that to a tetronian, our 3d birds are configured wierd. If we could picture a 4d bird, it may look like a freak of nature to us. Have possibly 3 to 4 more wings to cope with extra dimensional expansion.

If a 3d bird ever tried to fly in a 4d sky, it would fall and flutter helplessly. It would be like watching a 2d bird trying to fly in our sky. Lacking a Z dimensionl extend wing, it would flutter down like a leaf.
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Geosphere » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:41 pm

Why assume the 2d bird has 2 wings, instead of simply working like a jellyfish?
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:12 pm

All a 2d bird really needs to do is gather up some speed then shape themselves like the cross-section of a wing so that they get some lift. The only reasons birds flap is to get themselves up to where they are. The bigger the bird is, the easier it is for them to float in the air, especially if there's an updraft.

I don't think a tetronian bird would be as weird to us as our bird would be to bionians. It's wings would be wide and high, but they would be tarrow. They wouldn't necessarily need any more than two wings.
alkaline
Founder

Postby RQ » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:32 am

Maybe for a bird in 2D to be able to fly, it should look something like a horizontal line (1 wing) and its organs and stuff on top or bottom (preferably top). Or maybe.
RQ
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions