4-D Lakes

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

4-D Lakes

Postby Blue_X » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:32 pm

First of all I was looking at alkaline's website on introductions and so on. I was looking at lakes, when I noticed in 4-D that lakes can be globular, flat, and linear. I understand globular which is very thick, which needs a long distance cylindrical bridge to travel through it. I also understand a flat lake which is thin, which needs a short distance cylindrical bridge to travel through it. Now a linear lake I do not understand, it says for a linear lake no bridge is neccessary. However in the diagram, it shows the arrow, which would be a Tetronian, and it travels straight but when it reaches the lake it shows the arrow "hopping" over the lake and continuing, but a lake is not able to be jumped over. So wouldn't a short half-circle bridge be needed to cross the river-like lake? Because a 4-D linear lake would be like a 3-D linear lake or even a 3-D river, which needs a half-circle bridge to cross or just a straight bridge, however in 4-D a straight bridge wouldn't be possible because you'd walk straight into the river which wouldn't be confined to the ground.

Well if needed, here is a link to the page on bodies of water I was looking at: http://www.tetraspace.alkaline.org/page8.htm
The Who Rules!
Blue_X
Mononian

Postby duraultra » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:11 pm

I think since it is linear you can simply walk around it, and there is no need to build a bridge because it wouldn't necessarily be any faster. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
I think upon the ponder while I'm pondering the thought.
duraultra
Dionian

Re: 4-D Lakes

Postby Keiji » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:40 pm

I think you misunderstood the diagrams. The linear river can just be walked around, imagine it as walking around a pillar. ;)
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:40 am

By definition, its only a linear lake if you can walk around it. If you need a bridge to cross it, its not a linear lake.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:08 am

A lake that forms from a general depression in the ground (like lake victoria), would tend to be chorous (or sphere-shaped), in general, platous (in the shape of a solid's face)

A lake that forms in a tectonic fault (like lake tanyanika), would tend to be hedrous (generally, marginous), because this is what separates faces.

A lake that forms as a result of a blocked river, (like an ox-bow lake or billibong), would tend to be latrous (or line-shaped).
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Kevin_Ahab » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:59 pm

The way I see it, any 4D lake can be walked around (like we can walk around a 3D lake), but, a linear lake it one that is not "thin" in the sense of thin and thick for the others, but smaller in the "height" direction, trength or whatever. This is, as Rob pointed out, like us walking around a pillar.

However, to walk around a flat or globular lake would be like walking around a wall-it could be done, yes, but it could take a long, long time.

Of course, you could put a bridge through a linear lake, but this is useless and destructive to it.
A Christmastime joke that is funny year-round:

Q: Why was Jesus not born in France?
A: They could not find three wise men or a virgin!
Kevin_Ahab
Mononian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions