In the "Flatness and Levitation" Section

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

In the "Flatness and Levitation" Section

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:11 am

Bob can scrape Fred's world against his wall, by moving it in 2 directions: up-down, and right left. I agree with that.

This is because Fred's world is 2d and is in contact with the wall on a plane, confined to planar movements.

You said Emily can move Bob's world in 4 directions, but it's only 3. His world is 3d, in contact with the tetra-wall on a realm, and confined to planar movements. She can only move his world up-down, right-left, and back-forth.

What fourth direction are you talking about, Alkaline?
Jay
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:43 am

i was talking about right, left, back, and fourth - that's four directions, not four dimensions :-P It totals two dimensions of movement.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Jay » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:39 am

So then Bob can move Fred in 4 directions (up, down, right, left).

And Emily can move Bob in 6 (up, down, right, left, back, forth).
Jay
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:07 pm

well, in that page i was thinking of "swing" - yes, Bob can move fred up and down, but that would unhook his world from the nail it's hanging on. Bob can swing Fred in 2 directions, and Emily can swing Bob in 4.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:08 pm

Ok I see what you're saying.

In Fred's world, things can only swing in 2 directions from a hanging point, so Bob can only swing Fred's world in 2 directions on the 2d wall he's on.

In Bob's world, things can only swing in 4 directions from a hanging point, so Emily can only swing Bob's world in 4 directions on the 3d wall he's on.
Jay
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:18 pm

exactly. So does that need to be cleared up on the page (with more explanation) or was it just a misreading?
alkaline
Founder

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:05 pm

Maybe just a bit more explaining. Like, you could show Fred's world with two curved arrows to represent his two curved paths. And you could show Bob's world with four curved arrows to represent his four basic curved paths. Something like that.
Jay
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions