Air in the 4th dimension?

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Air in the 4th dimension?

Postby stargate3216 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:17 am

I was just thinking about what it would be like to use the 4th dimension to walk through walls and stuff.

If normal matter couldn't access the 4th dimension, then wouldn't it be a hard vacuum?

I know it's not like an alternate dimension, but if universe were 2D then there wouldn't be any air in 3D right, I think.

Edit by jinydu: Fixed spelling error
stargate3216
Nullonian

Postby wendy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:15 am

all kinds of matter, including gases like air, have versions in any given dimension. the last time i was out there (4d) i certainly felt the breeze on my face.

W
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby 4D guy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:04 pm

If there is air in the 2nd dimension why shouldn't there be air in the 4th?
4D guy
Mononian

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 am

If the fourth dimension was a hard vacuum, then all of our air (and matter in general) would be sucked into it, and seemingly disappear from our world. But since we have air (and matter in general), then we know that the fourth dimension isn't a hard vacuum.
Nick
Tetronian

Postby DenijsD » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:31 am

4D guy wrote:If there is air in the 2nd dimension why shouldn't there be air in the 4th?

There can't be air in the 2nd Dimension all the atoms in air have more then 2 dimensions, therefore there can only be a infinitly small slice of air in the 2nd Dimension 8)
There isn't a 4th dimension? I think, do you?
DenijsD
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:33 am

DenijsD wrote:
4D guy wrote:If there is air in the 2nd dimension why shouldn't there be air in the 4th?

There can't be air in the 2nd Dimension all the atoms in air have more then 2 dimensions, therefore there can only be a infinitly small slice of air in the 2nd Dimension 8)

I think he had in mind a completely 2-dimensional universe, where atoms are 2-dimensional. In that case, of course it is possible to have 2D air.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby DenijsD » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:34 am

Oh I see,
I figured it would be part of our 3d and us being part of the multi-dimensional space.
Sorry :oops:
Yet I think it's even more difficult to think of something being 2D. How can something be infinitly small (flat)? It just can't, can it? not in the reality we know at least.
DenijsD
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:48 am

Well, not in the reality we know; because the reality we know is 3D.

But what you say about a 2D world being "infinitely small" isn't quite right; it is only "infinitely small" compared to a 3D world. If you don't make that comparison, and instead measure the 2D world on its own 2D terms, you see that there really isn't anything so counterintuitive about a 2D world.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby DenijsD » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 am

There isn't anything counterintuitive about the terms of a 2d "world", you're right. But there is about anything being 2d. (to me there is at least :-))
DenijsD
Dionian

Postby bn199 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 am

To them in the 2D world, if there was people in 2D, wouldnt our world be infinitly wide since their space is so limited?
bn199
Mononian

people existin on other dimensions.

Postby ossium70 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:51 am

My understanding is that you can't divide up the dimensions into 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. You have to look at it as one whole universe where all these dimensions are wrapped up to make up what we know. So, you can say you're a flatlander if you want to look at yourself in the second dimension, or what you know of yourself in the third dimension and so on. What you can't perceive is yourself in higher dimensions.

So, if you want to look at a flatlander, go to a mirror and look at yourself, then imagine a 2D cross-section of what you see and there you have it, you'll have the elusive flatlander that everyone is looking for.

Fixed your atrocious spelling and grammar. Please try to post in correct English next time. ~Keiji
ossium70
Mononian

Re: Air in the 4th dimension?

Postby cory_cpd » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:01 pm

stargate3216 wrote:I was just thinking about what it would be like to use the 4th dimension to walk through walls and stuff.

the theory of matter going through solid matter is very awkward. that would mean that all matter would have to be able to go through each other. then the onlything that would exist would be an atom or even much smaller. a Sub-atom "dont think exsist" cause everything would go through everything else. nothing would be able to keep a shape.

If normal matter couldn't access the 4th dimension, then wouldn't it be a hard vacuum?
well sence atoms go through then yea thinking if things could keep a solid object then it would go into the vacuum then go though the bag back on to the floor

I know it's not like an alternate dimension, but if universe were 2D then there wouldn't be any air in 3D right, I think.

i see what your saying. if the universe was a 2 dimentional univers then the air couldnt be 2d it'd have to be flat and the bad thing is sence its flat and you only see flat the air would be visible you wouldnt be able to see anything. [/quote]

http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/page1.htm

this link could explain your anwser pretty good. thats how i saw your questions
cory_cpd
Mononian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions