Negative Dimensionality

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Negative Dimensionality

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:54 am

How is it possible for their to be negative dimensions? I always thought of the number of dimensions as the number of axis's perpendicular to each other.
Nick
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:25 am

The lowest dimension i have heard of is -2, but i never been there to see what it means. Ok.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby moonlord » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:43 pm

What does it represent, though? I've heard of -1D as a empty set, but I don't see why...
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Negative dimension of what? The "axis" argument doesn't allow negative numbers so wherever you heard about them doesn't refer to the dimension definition you're used to. There are many other "types" of dimensions out there since no single one can describe every mathematical object. Fractals have fractional dimensions but that doesn't mean they have a partial axis...it's a totally different definition altogether.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:40 pm

If we have a look at the inductive dimension (that already can be defined on any topological space), we see that it is simply useful to assume the dimension of an empty set to be -1.
Roughly because the empty set is the boundary (boundary can be defined in any topological space) of every point, and every point should have dimension 0. And the dimension of the boundary (of subsets) should be (at least) one less than the dimension of the regarded set.
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:28 pm

The Adventures of Discriminant Boy In The Negative Dimension, ( from a footnote in Kent Plamer's 'Negative Dimensionality and the General Schemas Theory' from holonomic.net )
thigle
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions