I'm back with new idea!

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

I'm back with new idea!

Postby Muzozavr » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:53 am

Bob can see/imagine:

3D
2D
1D
0D (point)

It means, Bob can see "three" dimensions behind him. (with 0D)
BUT can Fred see only two dimensions behind him? Can Emily see all four behind her?

I'm starting to think that Emily can see/imagine:

4D
3D
2D
1D (line) STOP! No point for her.

Again, Fred can see/imagine:

2D
1D
0D
-1D (nulloid)

So, the dimensional line have no end in both sides, in both sides it just goes on and on... :?
I don't live in four dimensions... at least not yet...
Muzozavr
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:33 pm

That doesn't make any sense. What basis do you have for believing that an n-dimensional being can only see/imagine dimensions between n-3 and n?
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby Muzozavr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:50 am

You are in the dark and your pupils are big, you are in the light and your pupils are small. But if someone lives in other (more dark) diapasone of light he will catch the light in darkness much better. For US it's no light. For THEM there is still quite many light.
For Fred, who lives in a smaller dimension, than Bob, there are another DIAPASONE of dimensions. He can imagine nulloid, for HIM point still has some directions.
For Emily (she lives in 4D) 3D feels FLAT. That's the key. Line will feel for her like point for us. So, she can't imagine point like we can't imagine nulloid.
Muzozavr
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:01 pm

A point, by definition, cannot have any directions (not counting position vectors, of course).

Using mathematics, it is possible to study spaces with any number of dimensions, regardless of one's sight. Of course a four-dimensional being could imagine a point: A point is just the limiting case where all four dimensions of an object approach zero.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby Muzozavr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Are you sure? For US the point doesn't have any directions. And for flatlanders?

For Emily 3D feels flat -- someone already said it. For her: 2D feels like 1D. 1D feels like 0D. Continue, stretch your imgaination, 0D feels like... -1D.

Can Bob imagine -1D?
Can Emily imagine 0D?
Can Fred imagine -2D?

EDIT: May be Emilly will be able to define what is point, but NOT imagine it.
Muzozavr
Dionian

Postby pat » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:30 pm

Let's reframe your argument.

Pentagons have five sides.
Squares have four sides.
Triangles have three sides.

Assume that to squares, our triangles are triangles.

Then, to pentagons, our squares are triangles.

Furthermore, to septagons (7-side polygons), our hexagons are triangles and our triangles have -1 sides!!

Notice a problem?
pat
Tetronian

Postby Muzozavr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:47 pm

No problem here. That's quite possible. If something feels one way, it will be imagined quite the same way.
Muzozavr
Dionian

Postby jinydu » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:57 am

Muzozavr, you have stretched analogy way beyond its logical limits and seem to have no understanding of mathematical reasoning.

I recommend you study some geometry. Consult a textbook, or better yet, read a few pages from Euclid's Elements.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby Muzozavr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:37 am

1. I will.
2. And mathematical reasoning of different dimensdions may be different... :lol:
Muzozavr
Dionian

Postby bo198214 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:10 pm

Muzozavr wrote:And mathematical reasoning of different dimensdions may be different...

For me mathematical reasoning is time and spaceless. Even 0-d beeings can reason about euclidean space (though probably wouldnt get a feeling of it).
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:28 am

Muzozavr wrote:1. I will.
2. And mathematical reasoning of different dimensdions may be different... :lol:

1. Thank you

2. Not if you use an agreed upon logical framework.

In the linear algebra class I'm taking at university right now, there are many theorems that can be proven in any number of dimensions. Here's an example:

Any n linearly independent vectors in R^n span R^n.

Thus, for instance, if I have four vectors in R^4 (roughly speaking, four-dimensional space), and none of them can be written as linear combinations of the others, then any vector in R^4 can be written as a linear combination of those four vectors.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:37 am

i don't know but has that theorem anything to do with root-vectors, i mean coordinate bases ? does it mean that n vectors (if linearly independent) are enough to serve as root vectors for nD space ? (roughly speaking)

what does it mean that n vectors are linearly dependent ? for exemple 3 vectors (010, 100, 111) are base for some affine geometry. how do i find if they are linearly in/dependent ?
Last edited by thigle on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
thigle
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:41 am

thigle wrote:i don't know but has that theorem anything to do with root-vectors, i mean coordinate basis ? does it mean that n vectors (if lineary independent) are enough to serve as root vectors for nD space ? (roughly speaking)

n linearly independent vectors in R^n form a basis for all of R^n; but they do not necessarily form an orthonormal basis.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:28 pm

what does it mean that n vectors are linearly dependent ? for exemple 3 vectors (010, 100, 111) are base for some affine geometry. how do i find if they are linearly in/dependent ?

Good question. If n vectors are linearly dependent, that means one of them is just a simple combination of the others. If they are linearly independent, then they make a basis for R^n. That means you can express any point as a combination of these vectors.

For instance, (010, 100, 210) is linearly dependent, because the third vector is just the sum of the first vector, and two of the third. That is:

u<sub>3</sub> = u<sub>1</sub> + 2 u<sub>2</sub>

Your example is linearly independent. I'll show you how to prove this.

u<sub>3</sub> = (1,1,1)

All we have to do is prove that u_3 is not a combination of u_1 and u_2.
In this case, it's easy.

u<sub>1</sub> = (0,1,0)
u<sub>2</sub> = (1,0,0)
u<sub>3</sub> - u<sub>2</sub> - u<sub>1</sub> = (0,0,1)

These are the three standard basis vectors for R^3, which we already know these are linearly independent.

If you tried this with my linearly dependent set, you'd eventually end up with:
(1,0,0)
(0,1,0)
(0,0,0)

For trickier sets of vectors, you use a matrix to represent them, and try to reduce it to either an Identity matrix:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

or some ugly kind of matrix:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 0

Incidentally, not all maths is as boring as linear algebra. I learnt most of this information in the two weeks before my maths exam last year. I think I went to 5 or 6 linear algebra lectures that semester. :lol:
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby thigle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 am

:
For trickier sets of vectors, you use a matrix to represent them, and try to reduce it to either an Identity matrix:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

or some ugly kind of matrix:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 0

this i don't understand, the first part of your reply i do and tried for that affine base.

you also state: "...not all maths is as boring as linear algebra." what math-label does the above quote fit in ? i mean what subdomains of math discipline are those concepts from ? and what is the most provoking/exciting to you in geometry ?

(am i becoming a notoric off-topicER ? what's off an what's not in a thread "...new idea" ? anything new ? anything ?:shock:)
thigle
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:17 am

The study of matrices is definitely part of linear algebra.
jinydu
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions