Let go of me!

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Let go of me!

Postby ronsdimension » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:15 am

This is a great forum!

I read some on this site (the part about Flatland anyway), This in general is explained in the book "Hyperspace" except that Flatland was horizontal.

I thought of this for my upcoming comic book* that I am creating.

Let's do another trick to poor old Fred! Suppose a person (a realmic being) puts their hand through Fred’s world in front of him. Fred would see four hovering circular objects appear in front of him (the person's 4 fingers), then as the realmic moved his hand through, Fred would see the 4 circles merge into a elongated mass(the person's hand), about this time WHAM! Fred is trapped by an unseen force! (the realmic "pinched" Fred with his finger (to the left of Fred) and his thumb (to Fred's right)-(left and right are in realmspace, unseen to Fred.)) Since Fred can't understand or see to the left or right, he is trapped! (but Fred can’t see anything touching him!) The hovering mass is still visible in front of him as some distance. Then all of a sudden Fred leaves his world and see "slices" of a strange creature that is constantly changing size and color, with some body parts disconnected. (The realmic lifted Fred off of his world into realmspace.) The realmic decides to place Fred back in to his world, however he placed him in the opposite way that Fred was originally (Fred has been “turned over“). Fred is now permanently facing the other direction, his body parts are reversed too. Fred has to learn to live all over again!?

What if a “hyperbeast” did the same thing to us?

We would see the hyperbeast as blobs of flesh that changed shape and color. It’ll look sorta like a dragon with parts disconnected in my comic.

If you were right handed, you would be left handed, your heart would be on the right side of your chest, any moles or birthmarks would also be reversed. The question is- would you write backwards, see things backwards (maybe not backwards, but being your brain is now reversed would “the right way” seem backwards to you?) I don’t know how far I should take this in my comic.

There is all sorts of nifty little tricks a hyperbeast could torment us with, don’t you think?

Suppose the realmic lifted Fred by his legs (to the right or left) so only his head was in contact with planespace. This is what I might have happen to the unfortunate character in my comic. His head would be hovering in the midst of strange shape and color changing blobs of flesh!

*My comic “The back of Tomorrow” is about a group of high school students that summon time travelers from Proxima Centauri circa 3166 a.d. By “doing an experiment in the 4th dimension”. Proxima is Earth closest star.
ronsdimension
Mononian

h

Postby DogmaJerk » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:41 am

I've kind of had a general problem with the idea of Fred "seeing" anything. Especially since he has only one eye in the front. No wi believe that for Fred to identify a square from a circle from a star from another Fred, he needs a second eye. This eye must be on top of the other eye. Otherwise, there are no benefits whatsoever to a twodimensional environment. Fred would be bumping into things all the time, because he couldn't tell how far away into the widthdimension anything is. A line is a line to you or me, but if some how we could detect relations of distance along this line (the bottom of this line is closer to me than the top etc.) we could do alright. Fred logically mst have this power. A simple power. One theoretically impossible a one dimensional line, but remember, what Fred sees is not one dimensional, but two dimensional. It's kind of wacky to imagine a "line" fluctuating in direction along the perpendicular-whatever youd call it- but of course there is no right of the object for fred, and there is no left of the object.
Galliards and lute songs served in chilling ale:
I am the cross to take your nail:
I am the wind to fill your sail:
A singer of these ageless times:
With kitchen prose and gutter rhymes.
DogmaJerk
Mononian

Re: Let go of me!

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:54 am

ronsdimension wrote:If you were right handed, you would be left handed, your heart would be on the right side of your chest, any moles or birthmarks would also be reversed. The question is- would you write backwards, see things backwards (maybe not backwards, but being your brain is now reversed would “the right way” seem backwards to you?) I don’t know how far I should take this in my comic.

If you were flipped, the following three things would happen - the first would be amusing, the second would be problemattic (possibly fatal), the third would be catastrophic.

The first thing is that every thing would look mirror image to you, except for yourself and what ever flipped with you - you would look mirror image to everyone else, including your handwriting (which looks normal to you).

The second thing (which would be interesting to put in your comic) is that your molecules would also be mirror image, you would have right handed proteins instead of left handed - this could be a problem, food would taste and smell different, meat would probably be stale to you, and be indigestible or even toxic. So a flipped person wouldn't get neutrients from his food, unless he can flip it in hyperspace too.

The third thing - lets just put it this way - you flip, then there is a super atomic explosion, a mushroom cloud going into the stratusphere, everything vaporizes in a 100 mile radius, cities are leveled - you ARE ground zero - what happened is that your matter flipped to antimatter! - this of course would RUIN your comic's main character's chance to explore the mirror effects of the first two things above.

Polyhedron Dude
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Re: Let go of me!

Postby alkaline » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:57 pm

Polyhedron Dude wrote:The third thing - lets just put it this way - you flip, then there is a super atomic explosion, a mushroom cloud going into the stratusphere, everything vaporizes in a 100 mile radius, cities are leveled - you ARE ground zero - what happened is that your matter flipped to antimatter! - this of course would RUIN your comic's main character's chance to explore the mirror effects of the first two things above.

You could solve this problem by saying that the atoms themselves don't flip, but instead stay parallel to realmspace, as the trionian is being flipped around. Then you wouldn't have the antimatter explosion. I think it would be a bit more difficult to keep the molecules parallel to realmspace though, because some molecules can be pretty long.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Aale de Winkel » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:29 am

probably the tetronian nitwit could tune in a simultaneous matter antimatter conversion, which would I think also a simple matter to do for him.

To stick with this particle discussion the thought occured to me: what if we could view short lived particles as tetronian longer lived particles shooting through realmspace. Particles half times then could indicate the tetronian particle path intersecting with realmspace. (just a thought occuring to me :lol: )
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby Keiji » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:18 pm

To stick with this particle discussion the thought occured to me: what if we could view short lived particles as tetronian longer lived particles shooting through realmspace. Particles half times then could indicate the tetronian particle path intersecting with realmspace. (just a thought occuring to me :lol: )

interesting and a hundred percent possible...
Keiji
Administrator

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions