first ever question

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

first ever question

Postby bmx_er » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:05 am

hi,l it's my first time on this website and i just want to ask a question to see if the members of this message bored are as intellegent as hey seem to be.

i belive that a being in the fourth dimension is everywhere in space at every point in time all at once, this is because i believe that our time and space boundaries have no relevane or meaning in the fourth dimension, thus none of our three dimensional laws of physics apply in any way in higher dimensions.

please let me know what you think of my brief opinion of the fourth dimension
bmx_er
Nullonian

Re: first ever question

Postby jinydu » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:25 am

bmx_er wrote:hi,l it's my first time on this website and i just want to ask a question to see if the members of this message bored are as intellegent as hey seem to be.

Edit by iNVERTED: fixed your quote

You mean board! :lol:

bmx_er wrote:i belive that a being in the fourth dimension is everywhere in space at every point in time all at once, this is because i believe that our time and space boundaries have no relevane or meaning in the fourth dimension, thus none of our three dimensional laws of physics apply in any way in higher dimensions.

please let me know what you think of my brief opinion of the fourth dimension

It is beyond the scope of this board to ask the question of whether a fourth dimension actually exists; however, it is true that there is no experimental evidence for a fourth (spatial) dimension. Instead, this board deals with what a four-dimensional world would be like if it did exist. Since we're not really grounded in actual reality, you're essentially free to make whatever sort of postulates you like about the fourth dimension.

Having said that, however, it is useful to be able to derive some conclusions about this imaginary 4D world. But conclusions cannot be derived without first having assumptions, and generally, we like to have assumptions that correspond in some ways to the laws of this Universe with which we are familiar. Thus, I wouldn't recommend simply discarding all the known laws of physics in your 4D thought experiment, unless you've got good new laws to replace them with.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby RQ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:32 am

Actually if the current accepted model of the finite space, infinite boundary model, there must be a 4th dimension into which our universe is curved. It's the same principle as 2D beings living on the surface of the sphere. The area onto which they live is finite but they can never go off that plane whereas in a flat 2D sheet they can walk off their universe.

However as to actualy 4D beings jinydu is right, there's no experimental evidence for those.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:01 am

Actually, in general relativity, it is possible for spacetime to be curved without something to curve into... Thus, the "surface of a sphere" analogy is imperfect in that the surface of the sphere needs a third dimension to curve into; while spacetime doesn't need such an additional dimension.
jinydu
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions