A question about page 4 of this site

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

A question about page 4 of this site

Postby scrub1942 » Wed May 25, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi all -
I am new to this site, but intensely intrested. I have a question... on page 4 of this site, when Bob puts the nail through Fred's 2-d world, it says that Fred sees a circle appear in mid air. Wouldn't Fred actually see a line segment? If the 3-d Nail penetrated the 2-d plane at 90 degrees, wouldn't Fred see a line? I think that understanding the relation betweeen the 2-d and the 3-d world is integral to my understanding of the 4-d and 3-d relationship.

Thanks for your input!
scrub1942
Nullonian

Postby wendy » Thu May 26, 2005 12:25 am

Have a look at the set of "hyperspace" pages from my polygloss, at

http://www.geocities.com/os2fan2/gloss/index.html

This is an insight into how to use hyperspace (relation between N and N+1 dimensions) to explore 4 dimensions. The idea is to think in terms of

pictures + maps have 2 dimensions

things fall in pictures but not in maps

So when you do interesting things like design cities etc in 4d, the idea is to keep focus on "what things do" rather than what shape things are.

A road connects: it is a 1d thing. On a map of 4d (which is 3d), a line does not divide. On a map of 3d (which is 2d) a line divides. So you have to cross streets in 3d, but not in 4d.

A sword divides: specifically moving the sword makes something that divides, so the blade-tip is (solid space) - 1 dimension [we're spliting, not squashing] - 1 dimension [because motion makes this up]. It is 1d in three dimensions (ie a line), but 2d in four dimensions.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Chaos » Thu May 26, 2005 12:35 am

He would see a line, but it would make sense to him in a way we can't imagine. If you think about it, planespace is supposed to be infinitely flat, so the line he sees would therefore be infinitely thin, generally making it almost invisible. Imagining what it would be like to live in planespace is almost as difficult as comprehending tetraspace.
Chaos
Mononian

Re: A question about page 4 of this site

Postby pat » Fri May 27, 2005 2:05 pm

scrub1942 wrote:I have a question... on page 4 of this site, when Bob puts the nail through Fred's 2-d world, it says that Fred sees a circle appear in mid air. Wouldn't Fred actually see a line segment?

Push a nail through a piece of paper. Now, pull the nail out of the paper. What shape is the hole?

It is a circle. If you were living on the piece of paper, you'd be able to walk all around that circle and verify that it's actually circular. From a distance away, it may just look like a segment that's the length of the diameter. But, if you still had perspective vision... or shadows... or some other depth cue... you would be able to see that it's not a flat line segment.
pat
Tetronian

Postby sup2069 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:47 am

Chaos wrote:He would see a line, but it would make sense to him in a way we can't imagine. If you think about it, planespace is supposed to be infinitely flat, so the line he sees would therefore be infinitely thin, generally making it almost invisible. Imagining what it would be like to live in planespace is almost as difficult as comprehending tetraspace.

Or think about what emily, or a tetrabeing would feel like trying to imagine themselves living in 3d space. It would drive them mad!
sup2069
Dionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions