Its amazing what a boring class can do for you

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Its amazing what a boring class can do for you

Postby timespace » Thu May 19, 2005 12:15 am

math is great, but i have the most boring teacher in the world. Just today i was off daydreaming a little when i came across a different explanation to life in the second dimension. Assuming that in the second dimension you dont have to be in the likeness of man, you could have a different way to move in the second dimension. Instead of having stickmen, why cant life be like looking from above...just circles moving around. they could move around each other and it wouldnt have to be as explained by this site.

Also, I was pondering gravity in the second dimension. For us, gravity is down. If this dimension was as i explained, there would be no 'down' only left, right, forward, and back. Thus, gravity would either pull to a side, or not exist at all.
timespace
Mononian

Postby pat » Thu May 19, 2005 12:37 am

If gravity pulls to a side, then you may as well call that direction down.

If there's no gravity, it doesn't matter at all how the plane is oriented.
pat
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Thu May 19, 2005 12:38 am

Well, you don't have to be "in the likeness of man" in the third dimension either. There are plenty of other living things around.

Furthermore, whether or not there is gravity in your hypothetical 2D universe is your choice. If you want it to have gravity, say it has gravity. If you don't want it to have gravity, say it doesn't have gravity. After all, its all hypothetical, and the number of dimensions in your hypothetical universe is totally independent of whether or not it has gravity; just as whether or not it is raining right now is totally independent of what color my computer is.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby pat » Thu May 19, 2005 12:44 am

I dunno... it's definitely raining right now. I think if you'd have gone with the neon-green computer....
pat
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions