I think I just proved the whole theory of a 4th dimension...

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

I think I just proved the whole theory of a 4th dimension...

Postby Keiji » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:48 pm

...wrong. **These subject fields are too short!**

Imagine Fred, walking around in his natural habitat. Now since there will be air currents, however minute, in Bob's world, when they touch Fred's plane they will blow him off his world. So the same would happen for Bob falling into Emily's world, and so on.

In other words, to not be constantly falling into the next-up dimension, either the different dimensions would have to be completely 100% seperated, or not exist at all.

In fact, if they did touch but only at a very small area, and someone travelled to that area, they would be "sucked" into the fourth dimension by 4-d air currents.

... Which proves me wrong again. Damn. :P
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:28 pm

it all depends on how the dimensions would interact. I always imagine a lower dimension having some kind of internal tension/integrity force that holds into together so that things don't just fall into the next dimension.
alkaline
Founder

Postby sup2069 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:13 pm

bobxp wrote: Imagine Fred, walking around in his natural habitat. Now since there will be air currents, however minute, in Bob's world, when they touch Fred's plane they will blow him off his world. So the same would happen for Bob falling into Emily's world, and so on.

I just have one question to that:

Q: How big are other beings from other dimensions.

I am guessing that you are imagining Fred to be the size of 1 inch. But what if he was 100 feet tall? The winds in his world would be much worse than ours. And for tetraonians, what if they were really microscopic life forms?

The size of other dimensional beings is what I am curious about.

Back on topic

I would agree with you on this one alkaline. I was thinking about such forces while at work.

But I do have a funny theory, that may connect our 3d space possibly with the 4th dimension.

I am sure you all heard of The Bermuda Triangle right? Suppose that section of 3d space ( possibly more in the universe ) that had a one way tear in the fabric of our dimension into the fourth dimension. When an object would pass in that area( such as a plane, boat or persons inside) may have fallen “kata” or “ana” into the fourth dimension.

Could all of this hype about the devils triangle actually be a link to the tetraonian world? If so there could of been people really lost in the fourth dimension and couldnt get back out?

Scary thought :shock:
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:19 pm

sup2069 wrote:I am sure you all heard of The Bermuda Triangle right? Suppose that section of 3d space ( possibly more in the universe ) that had a one way tear in the fabric of our dimension into the fourth dimension. When an object would pass in that area( such as a plane, boat or persons inside) may have fallen “kata” or “ana” into the fourth dimension.

Could all of this hype about the devils triangle actually be a link to the tetraonian world? If so there could of been people really lost in the fourth dimension and couldnt get back out?

Scary thought :shock:

I wrote:In fact, if they did touch but only at a very small area, and someone travelled to that area, they would be "sucked" into the fourth dimension by 4-d air currents.

Very interesting link there, I should've thought of that!!!!!! :shock:
Keiji
Administrator

Postby sup2069 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:11 am

bobxp wrote:
I wrote:In fact, if they did touch but only at a very small area, and someone travelled to that area, they would be "sucked" into the fourth dimension by 4-d air currents.

Very interesting link there, I should've thought of that!!!!!! :shock:

You were talking about wind currents and sucking people into the higher dimension, with no theorized connection with places in the world.

I was making a theory on falling into the fourth dimension through fabric tears in the dimension.

Alkaline wrote:...a lower dimension having some kind of internal tension/integrity force that holds into together so that things don't just fall into the next dimension...

I was going off his theory, then implied "the tear in the dimensional fabric" idea. Then tied it with the Burmuda :wink:
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:01 am

It doesn't matter where n-space is in (n+1)-space.
It might wel be that a tetronian is wrapping up our trionian space and throwing it in say his waste-paper basket.
We are limited to our trionian senses and will experience only the trionian forces present in our trionian space.
As scifi-stories (and also real science) suggest our space is folded and it might be possible to travel through shortcuts, in the space that a tetronian wrapped up and threw away.

Probably tetronian time experience is that long that our centuries are mere seconds. To quote startrek once more, on deep-space 9 they had once discovered a proto-universe with intelligent live in it. That live would never know that they were at DS-9.

Simularly we won't know wether we hang on Emilies wall, being kicked around as her sons football, or whatever.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby Splatt » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:46 pm

how about this idea:

lets say that every dimension has the same amount of matter, so that 2d space has n number of "atoms." then 3d space also has n number of "atoms" then objects in 2d space would be made up of the same number of atoms but would spread out over their 2d space. Would this make the 2d space "larger" then 3d space, and 4d space "smaller" then 3d space.
Splatt
Mononian

Postby alkaline » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:12 pm

yes, in general the lower dimensions are "larger" than the higher dimensions, for more reasons than just your conjecture. In order to have equivalent functionality, things in lower dimensions have to be laid out in a plane and this would make objects span greater distances. In higher dimensions, objects can be much more compact with the same functionality. Also, since energy dissipates more slowly in lower dimensions, things would have to be farther away from each other, but in higher dimensions they would have to be closer to benefit from these energy sources.
alkaline
Founder

Postby RQ » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:01 pm

Alkaline, if I make more posts than you, do I get a higher dimension than you?
RQ
Tetronian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:47 am

no, i can make myself a special icon :-)
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:53 pm

Alkaline, you're thinking of realmspace energy. What of 4d energy forms?

Shadow and light projections are 2d in our 3d world. And dissipate fairly quickly. But electricity, by the nature of electron paths, is 3d. I think we would have to assume that "light" and "energy" have forms specific to 4d which we cannot conceive. Energy is motion. There are more directions for that motion to be stimulated in 4d.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:16 pm

well, i think of tetraspace energy as equivalent to realmspace energy but with an extra dimension to move in. I'm not sure what other forms energy could appear in for the fourth dimension. Whether or not 4d forms of light and energy are different from 3d light & energy, we could still "conceive" of them, even if it took some effort. How does the nature of electron paths make electricity 3d? It is only 3d because it is within realmspace. In planespace, electricity would be 2d - the paths would be confined to a plane.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:40 pm

Electricity is 3d because electron paths in a given molecule run on independent planes.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:50 pm

actually, when an electron is in a stable "orbit" around a nucleus, it is a standing wave, and doesn't exactly follow a linear path. The standing wave has a spherical or oblong spherical shape to it, depending on the element/compound.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:52 pm

And thats why electricity is 3d.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:01 pm

that's why electricity is 3d in realmspace. It could be a circular standing wave in planespace, thus making it 2d. In tetraspace, it could be a glomar standing wave, and thus electricity would be 4d there.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:05 pm

Wow, that assumes "atoms" of a structure we understand in plane and tetra. That can't be.

There may be a similar excitation/relaxation transmission of energy, but it wont be electricity and it wont be in realmly atoms.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:12 pm

yes, that is what i am assuming. It is easy to work with and it works in at least one dimension. If you can think of a better model, then we could work with multiple models at once and see which models come to a workable universe.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:19 pm

Not while sitting at my desk at work, but I will definitely think about it.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby RQ » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:39 am

Well, electrons in 2D would make less possible orbits for them since there is no 3rd dimension for them to move in, so that would make matter more unstable because it would be easier for them to go from their ground state to collapsing into the nucleus, and to get excited and fly off.
But wait, since the electrons can't move in 3d, neither is the nucleus in 3d so maybe there are more or just the same number of possible orbits, and yeah it depends on the element.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby alkaline » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:50 pm

The number of possible orbits actually would depend on some kind of quantum mechanics equation - and i believe according to the equation, adjusted for the second dimension, there aren't any stable orbits (but don't quote me on this - i know it's that way for the fourth dimension, but i'm not actually sure about the second dimension).
alkaline
Founder

Postby RQ » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:22 am

Well, different dimensions, such as the 2nd and 3rd, can't be separate, since its definition, that realmspace contain planespace, but not vice versa.
If they were separate, e.g. the 2D world was separate from the 3D world, then the 3D world would be nothing but the first dimension, and everything would actually fall apart to a point. :x
Always wondered about negative space.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby alkaline » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm

i was talking about an independent planespace, whether or not realmspace existed.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:09 pm

Wait, you mean Realmspace doesn't exist?
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:22 pm

no, i am saying that i was talking about a hypothetical planespace universe, ignoring all other dimensions.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:39 pm

Oh. I was hoping I didn't have to go to work today since it didn't exist.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:38 pm

well, whether or not it actually exists, you have to obey the rules of the universe that you live within :-P
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:12 pm

Well, that's a gyp.
Geosphere
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions