Complaints about the Glossary

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Complaints about the Glossary

Postby Vector_Graphics » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:37 am

> http://hi.gher.space/classic/glossary.htm
Y'know, this one.

1. Ana and kata are referred to as analogous to up and down. However, they are actually "sideways": instead of two directions, "sideways" for a 4d being is an entire 360 degree circle, and ana, kata, left, and right only exist with reference to something on that circle.
1a. This makes the following terms unnecessary: reel, tumble, apos, zakos, tarrow, trong, trength.
2. I generally tend to apply things to n-1 dimensions rather than 2 dimensions precisely. For example, "area" could refer to 2d or 3d measure in 4d, and "surface" can apply to the boundary of a 2d, 3d or 4d shape. For the same reason, I do not use "bulk". Neologisms, thus, are generally necessary for two-dimensional stuff in 4d, rather than 4d stuff.
2a. Thus, "swock", "surcell" etc are unnecessary, and I would prefer a word be introduced for a 2d sheet in 4d.
3. I have personal problems with the mathematical use of "sphere" vs. "ball". This isn't a problem with 4d (though it echoes into glome/gongyl), just with the fact that as someone who does art and 3d modeling etc, I find the restriction of "sphere" to refer to the boundary to be kind of strange from a casual language point of view.
4. While I know "bionian" comes from "bi-", I kept seeing "bio-" in there and got confused the first time. Surely "2d being" isn't that mcuh harder to say?
5. Anth and kenth, not marp and garp. Actually, I would use anst and kenst (or palst and kest or whatever), again due to the fact that they're more like west and east than north and south, but whatever.
6. List of terms which introduce linguistic ambiguity with casual usage: ball, bulk, chasm, gully, hole, realm, sheet, sphere, surface.
6a. I especially dislike "realm" because it gives very... "3.5d" vibes, same with "on" and "again" for ana and kata.
6b. Are the "hole, chasm, gully" series really necessary? Nobody uses 'chasm' in technical language in 3d, and 'gully' already has a meaning.
7. Swirl? Really? Now I've got to keep track of swirl (a type of double rotation), whirl (a type of 5d rotation), and twirl (the rotation through the sideways plane in 4d). That's too many -irls to keep track of.

- I'll probably come up with others.
Vector_Graphics
Dionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions