Would solar systems be "flat" in any manner in 4d?

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Would solar systems be "flat" in any manner in 4d?

Postby Vector_Graphics » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:08 am

Occupying one 2d plane, two distinct 2d planes, or what?
This is assuming:
- Planets and stars can form in 4d
- The inverse square law is followed (and thus, that orbits behave identically to in 3d, as two-body motion is planar).
Vector_Graphics
Dionian

Re: Would solar systems be "flat" in any manner in 4d?

Postby quickfur » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:01 pm

Those are pretty big assumptions :D

But let's say we assume they hold, for the sake of argument. Then solar systems, or more precisely, planetary systems, assuming they coalesced from the gravitational condensation of gas that initially formed the central star and that the orbiting planets result from leftover angular momentum in the system, then probably it would be planar? I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps it could exist in two distinct planes ala the clifford double rotation. But it's hard to know without more exact parameters that one could plug into a Monte Carlo simulation to see what kinds of results are obtained.

One interesting thing about a planetary system in two 2D planes is that the planets in one plane would, as far as the other plane is concerned, occupy the stationary plane intersecting at the origin (the star), so the collective mass of those planets would effectively act as additional gravity to the planets in the other plane. Furthermore, since they would oscillate above and below the other plane within their own orthogonal plane, planets in the other plane would experience an oscillating gravitational force perpendicular to their orbital plane. The net force is addtional gravity in the direction of the star. But I'm not sure if this perpendicular oscillating force would destabilize the orbit within the plane or not. Depending on the relative orbital periods, maybe it could actually act as a stabilizer? Again, hard to say without a Monte Carlo simulation to observe the possibilities.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Vector_Graphics » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

Yeah. Usually, though, I'd imagine planets being far enough apart that it doesn't really matter that much.
Vector_Graphics
Dionian

Postby PatrickPowers » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:24 pm

The mundane 3D case was the great problem of the 19th century of Laplace and Lagrange so even that is well beyond me. Today the SS has been found to be (mildly) chaotic. So the 4D case is out of reach. I guess the thing to do is make a simulation and see if you can get a stable solution. My guess is that a solution with two planes could be done and could arise naturally.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions