How do y'all distinguish 2d and 3d stuff in 4d?

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

How do y'all distinguish 2d and 3d stuff in 4d?

Postby Vector_Graphics » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:18 am

A 3d object is flat in 4d, and a 3d space is analogous to a plane, but we also often talk about planes of rotation, and 2d surfaces as boundaries on the 3d surface of a 4d object (i.e. boundary lines on the ground). How do you guys talk about 2d objects in 4d space? Like, what analog to "line/length" (for 1d), "plane/area/surface" (for n-1 dimensions) is there?
Vector_Graphics
Dionian

Re: How do y'all distinguish 2d and 3d stuff in 4d?

Postby Hugh » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:56 am

I think that 3D is full 3D in 4D, not really “flat” like a 2D plane. The way I see it a 4D being sees a 3D slice of its 4D surroundings all around itself in full 3D.
Hugh
Tetronian

Postby gonegahgah » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:23 am

@Vector,

The general thinking here is to call 4-Volume "bulk". My preference is to call it 4-Volume. All other objects are objectively flat.
We consider a line and a plane to be flat. However, it would need a new identifier for 3D objects or use the generic 3-Volume.
So I myself would also refer to 3-Volume as 4-Plane (as to their eyes a 3D object would be a plane flat object like a piece of paper).
To 4Der's a 2D object would be an edge so 4-Edge. So as a table:

Us / 4Der
3-dot / 4-dot
3-line / 4-line
3-plane / 4-edge
3-volume / 4-plane
3-hypervolume / 4-volume

That is how I like to think of it; but that is not the convention, I believe.
gonegahgah
Tetronian

Postby PatrickPowers » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:18 am

Vector_Graphics wrote:A 3d object is flat in 4d, and a 3d space is analogous to a plane, but we also often talk about planes of rotation, and 2d surfaces as boundaries on the 3d surface of a 4d object (i.e. boundary lines on the ground). How do you guys talk about 2d objects in 4d space? Like, what analog to "line/length" (for 1d), "plane/area/surface" (for n-1 dimensions) is there?

My goal is/was to see a 4D world as though I were 4D myself and had grown up in it, seeing everything as natural. So things are named according to their function. What to us is a solid sphere is to them a disc. What to us is a hollow sphere is to them a ring. And so forth.

Sometimes this isn't enough. Let's say we've got a line to measure distance. That's 1D in both worlds. But a line to partition a surface is 2D in the 4D world. So there are both 1D and 2D lines. In 4D a shoreline is 2D. Weird, eh?

Planes of rotation are 2D no matter how many dimensions you have. You could quite reasonably say that they aren't planes in 4D but I don't like to invent new words. So I just write "3D plane" and "2D plane" if there's any chance of confusion.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Postby Vector_Graphics » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:10 am

gonegahgah wrote:@Vector,

The general thinking here is to call 4-Volume "bulk". My preference is to call it 4-Volume. All other objects are objectively flat.
We consider a line and a plane to be flat. However, it would need a new identifier for 3D objects or use the generic 3-Volume.
So I myself would also refer to 3-Volume as 4-Plane (as to their eyes a 3D object would be a plane flat object like a piece of paper).
To 4Der's a 2D object would be an edge so 4-Edge. So as a table:

Us / 4Der
3-dot / 4-dot
3-line / 4-line
3-plane / 4-edge
3-volume / 4-plane
3-hypervolume / 4-volume

That is how I like to think of it; but that is not the convention, I believe.

Yeah, I specifically don't like "bulk". It feels just like pulling out a new word where it isn't necessary, especially when 'bulk' already has other meanings. I probably end up using "volume" for 4d when describing a 4d world. And apparently people use words like 'surcell' or smth here? Like, since when was 'surface' 2d specific? I feel like the 1d boundary of a 2d object has been called the surface. If anything, "surface" should be n-1 the same way "plane" is.
Most of the properties of 2d planes in 4d have to do with rotation, so I will probably end up deriving the terms for 2d stuff from words relating to rotating.
Vector_Graphics
Dionian

Postby gonegahgah » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:50 pm

Vector_Graphics wrote:If anything, "surface" should be n-1 the same way "plane" is.

Yes. Absolutely.

Vector_Graphics wrote:Most of the properties of 2d planes in 4d have to do with rotation, so I will probably end up deriving the terms for 2d stuff from words relating to rotating.

That sounds good.

PatrickPowers wrote:But a line to partition a surface is 2D in the 4D world. So there are both 1D and 2D lines. In 4D a shoreline is 2D. Weird, eh?

I would be more inclined to call it a "shoreedge" than a shoreline (like water's edge) as it is more of a boundary than a line.
To my thinking a line always travels from and to somewhere whereas a 4-edge extends out in the full 360° of directions.
gonegahgah
Tetronian

Postby PatrickPowers » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:06 pm

gonegahgah wrote:I would be more inclined to call it a "shoreedge" than a shoreline (like water's edge) as it is more of a boundary than a line.
To my thinking a line always travels from and to somewhere whereas a 4-edge extends out in the full 360° of directions.

I like that.
PatrickPowers
Tetronian

Postby Vector_Graphics » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:51 am

2 candidates so far for naming 2d "plane"
"rotad" or other "rot..." or "gyr..." something - from the fact that rotation is a 2d operation and can be described using a 2d space.
"edge" (which seems to be gaining more traction than I thought) due to the fact that:
- the boundary of a region of the ground is a 2d surface in 4d
- the edges of 4d shapes are 2d
- a bladed edge in 4d would be 2d
Vector_Graphics
Dionian

Postby mr_e_man » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Wendy uses "hedrix" for the 2D thing and "chorix" for the 3D thing. https://os2fan2.com/gloss/pglossh.html#PGHEDRIX
ΓΔΘΛΞΠΣΦΨΩ αβγδεζηθϑικλμνξοπρϱσςτυϕφχψωϖ °±∓½⅓⅔¼¾×÷†‡• ⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁺⁻⁼⁽⁾₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉₊₋₌₍₎
ℕℤℚℝℂ∂¬∀∃∅∆∇∈∉∋∌∏∑ ∗∘∙√∛∜∝∞∧∨∩∪∫≅≈≟≠≡≤≥⊂⊃⊆⊇ ⊕⊖⊗⊘⊙⌈⌉⌊⌋⌜⌝⌞⌟〈〉⟨⟩
mr_e_man
Tetronian

Postby Embi » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:45 am

Talking about 2D objects in 4D space can get a bit mind-boggling, but it's an interesting concept. In a way, you can think of a 2D object in 4D space as a "slice" or a "cross-section." It's like taking a snapshot of a 2D shape as it intersects with the 4D space, just like how a 3D space intersects with a 2D plane to create a 2D shape.
Embi
Mononian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions