Hello all

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Hello all

Postby sup2069 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:49 pm

I have finally gotten the chance to register and possibly share my ideas. I love the site and I am trying to learn!

EDIT: I was browsing through and I have a question to the post.

bobxp wrote:Do what I do: Ignore the y (height) dimension. Y is the least useful dimension because of gravity. If you ignore it, and ignore gravity as well, you could imagine being able to move up and down, and things being suspended in mid-air. This is what the ground plan of a 4d world would look like.

So are you saying there is no gravity in the fourth dimension? If so, how would gravity act? Instead of pulling you down, would it pull you in 2 directions ( up and down; forgot the terms) or in all directions?

I am confused :?
sup2069
Dionian

gravity & visualizing tetraspace

Postby alkaline » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:17 am

Always glad to have new people, welcome to the forum :)

Tetraspace does have gravity. Gravity would act exactly as it does in realmspace, pulling downwards only. If gravity was pulling in two directions at once, the gravity vectors would add together to a single direction, and thus you would end up with only one direction anyway.

bobxp was saying that to vizualize 4d objects/surfaces/etc, the dimension of the object that has gravity (the y dimension) is the least useful dimension to worry about. When you ignore the y dimension of the 4d object, you are left with three dimensions. As 3d beings, we can visualize such 3d objects. When you vizualize this 4d object intersected with realmspace, you have ignore 3d gravity because the gravity of the original object isn't acting on any direction from the intersected object that we can point to. You have to imagine realmspace as a surface for objects of the fourth dimension to rest on. Thus, you can imagine roads coming out of your floor and going towards the ceiling, intersecting with roads that travel in midair from each wall to the opposite wall. For a tetronian, roads arranged in this manner could be laid flat on their ground.
alkaline
Founder

tetra gravity

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:44 am

Quite correct, to be exact however.

Gravity is generated by the presence of mass, all bodies of a certain weight have mass so generate gravity.
The net effect of all gravities generated by a sphere (say the earth) is that the gravity seems to be comming from the spheres center (see note). Simularly that is true for any other object (say pe. the sun). All bodies pull onto each other by their gravity. So the earth is NOT rotating around the sun, but they both rotate around a common center of gravity, henche the elips form of the earths orbit around the sun, since because of the proximity of the center of gravity to the sun.

As a tetronian most likely is standing on his/hers tetronian planet he most prominently will feel the gravity of the tetrasphere he is standing on, though the tetronian standing next to him is also pulling on him by his gravity. (just as in our trionian world)

Tetronian forces I think of as pulling/pushing in all four possible direction on a tetronian, to feel our trionian forces (working only in three direction) a tetronian must intersect with that forces realm, just as we (trionians) only feel the forces which holds a sheet of paper together when we stick a finger through a hole in that paper.

note: that is as long as one is outside the sphere. Inside the sphere the gravity is pulling from all sides. Such that eventually the "observer" at the spheres center is feeling the same gravitational pull from all directions (see some newtonian physics book for explanation of details)
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Re: tetra gravity

Postby alkaline » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:18 pm

Aale de Winkel wrote:So the earth is NOT rotating around the sun, but they both rotate around a common center of gravity, henche the elips form of the earths orbit around the sun, since because of the proximity of the center of gravity to the sun.

Actually, this offset center of gravity of the two masses isn't related to elliptical orbits, otherwise the shape of the orbit for any object would be completely determined by the mass of each object. Commets have really huge orbits that are very elliptical, but asteroids have a much "rounder" orbit. If you spin a pencil on a point very close to its eraser, you can imagine this point as the center of rotation for the sun & earth, with the earth at the lead and the sun at the eraser. Both points trace out circles, which means it would theoretically be possible for earth to have a circular orbit.
Aale de Winkel wrote:note: that is as long as one is outside the sphere. Inside the sphere the gravity is pulling from all sides. Such that eventually the "observer" at the spheres center is feeling the same gravitational pull from all directions (see some newtonian physics book for explanation of details)

More specifically, at any point inside a planetary body, the gravity felt is the gravity from the sphere formed by the distance you are away from the center of the planet (this was a problem i had in a physics class, and my teacher calculated the answer).
alkaline
Founder

Postby Aale de Winkel » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:41 pm

Yes all kinds of factors are going in, I only wanted to point out that more factors work in the equation, if I remember correctly that it actually works out thus that the total gravity is the gravity of the inner circle (wouldn't go that deep into the matter) (oops: this is what you said, so I remembered correctly)

Also my notion of elipsoidal orbits was somewhat simplified, there are more planets orbiting the sun the planets rotate oaround there axis, all kinds of forces contribute

All factors combine as you probably know that all objects move in straight lines in a curved space, however this is not the place to go into general relativity (even that what I understood I have forgotten over the years)

Only wanted to point out to the new member (sup2069) that the situation is a bit simplified)

Nov. 28. My "model" is seriously flawed:
If the planet is moving at distance R from that center of gravity it describes the circle R [ cos(α), sin(α) ].
The sun must be opposed to the center of gravity at distance r so describing the circle r [ cos(α - 180), sin(α - 180) ] = - r cos(α), sin(α) ].
so the planet relative to the sun is in orbit (R+r) [ cos(α), sin(α) ] also a circle.
So there must be a relative speed of the planet toward the sun to get an eliptical orbit. The second point for the elipses might well be presented by the center of gravity of the sun and all its planets (but also this model won't be exact)
Further calculation I won't present here, see some textbook on planetairy orbits (I'll probably do that myself, but that will be next year (simply too much to do currently))
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby RQ » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:11 pm

Wouldn't it be cool to have a world made of 2 gravity fields - one down and the other just above it so the two don't interact much so that you could jump up to another street, kinda like a parallel world.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby sup2069 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:32 am

That would be interesting. Imagine the Olympics, hard trained athletes jumping 50 feet in the air.

If our rreality was like that, there would be alot of people acting like the matrix with jumping :lol:
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Geosphere » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:40 pm

Yeah, but how do you know our reality ISNT all superpowers? On other planets the air may be thick as soup and the gravity dense and they imagine a super planet where people can jump OVER A FOOT straight up!
Geosphere
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions