Implications of the orbits thread.

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Implications of the orbits thread.

Postby PWrong » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:28 pm

In skimming through my physics text book, I realised how many things in 3D follow an inverse square law. Magnetic fields, electric fields, sound waves, light (when described as a wave, not a particle), gravity, and possibly friction all seem to follow it.

Clearly most of these will follow an inverse cube law in 4D. I'd like to discuss whether this will have disastrous effects on stability, just like gravity does.

The biggest problem is the electric field. In classical mechanics, electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom in a similar way to planets orbiting the sun. If the electric field obeyed an inverse cube law, the electrons would surely spiral inwards just like the planets.

I've heard that this happens before, but I didn't believe it until now. Isn't there any way around this? Can we still have a vaguely sensible 4D universe?
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby jinydu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:48 am

Actually, from what I've learned in Physics class, its impossible for an electron to spiral inwards, or outwards for that matter. Electrons can only exist in discrete energy levels.

Any accelerating charged body is supposed to emit electromagnetic radiation, causing it to lose energy. In other words, the classical picture is unstable, even in 3D. My teacher said that the best way to think about why this doesn't happen to electrons is to think of them not as particles, but as stationary waves. Since the stationary wave isn't accelerating, they are stable.

None of that seems to make any reference to 3 dimensions. But then again, it was only a high school course.
jinydu
Tetronian

Re: Implications of the orbits thread.

Postby pat » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:26 am

PWrong wrote:In classical mechanics, electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom in a similar way to planets orbiting the sun.

Yes, except for the fact that classical mechanics does a particularly poor job of describing electron orbits in three-dimensions, too. So, any problems with the classical mechanics model for four-dimensional atoms wouldn't cause me much fret.

I'll have to look into how Schroedinger's Wave Equation works out in more dimensions.
pat
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:08 am

Hmm. I guess we'll have to wait for that before we can understand 4D magnetism or anything. I've seen Schrodinger's equation, but I have no idea how it works. But, apart from particle physics, how could you have a universe with stable planet motion, despite the inverse cube law of gravity?
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby jinydu » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:23 am

Well, there may be several ways you could try to rescue 4D planetary orbits. Most of these ideas were already mentioned in the "Fourth Dimension Calculation" thread:

1) Try a system with more than 2 masses

2) Try setting up a system where it takes tens of billions of years, or more, for the unstable orbit to spiral inwards or escape.

3) See if General Relativity (GR) differs more significantly from Newtonian gravity than it does in 3D. If so, see if GR orbits are stable in 4D.

4) IF ALL ELSE FAILS: Adjust Newton's Second Law (but I really don't think you would want to resort to that).
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:37 pm

Yes, I mentioned them. I hoped there might be some others. This is just a guess, but I don't think any of us are qualified to investigate any of those, except 2 or 4, and they wouldn't really be satisfactory. The three body problem is still unsolved in 3D, and from what I've seen, the equations of general relativity are beyond anyone here.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions