An idea for 2d Gravity

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

An idea for 2d Gravity

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sun May 04, 2014 8:16 pm

In 3d the magnetic field from a magnet decreases at approximately the distance cubed rather than with the square of the distance because the magnetic charges from the two poles tend to cancel each other out. This gives me an idea for 2d Gravity. If in 2d an object had a positive charge on the outside and a negative charge inside then the charge of the object would decrease at approximately the square of the distance.

My idea is for each fundamental particle to have positive inertial mass but for some fundamental particles to have positive gravitational mass while others have negative gravitational mass. The fundamental particles would be arranged in constituent particles that would be made of some particles that have negative gravitational mass and some that have negative gravitational mass. The particles with positive gravitational mass would be on the outside of their constituent particles while the particles with negative gravitational mass would be on the inside of their constituent particles. Because the particles with positive gravitational mass would be on the outside of their constituent particles they would also be closer to other constituent particles than the ones with negative gravitational mass and so the gravitational attraction between constituent particles would be slightly greater than the gravitational attraction between constituent particles. This would cause the gravity between two masses to decrease with approximately the square of the distance in 2d and the greater the distance the closer the gravity would be to decreasing with the square of the distance.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Re: An idea for 2d Gravity

Postby ICN5D » Wed May 07, 2014 11:53 pm

I don't know, man, that's some radical stuff. Or, how about a good ole' fashion bowling ball on a rubber sheet construct? A 2D mass dense enough could bend 2D space towards 3D, enough to cause objects to slide towards the source. Assuming that gravity on this scale is truly 3D, pulling from a higher dimension of space. But, how do we know this isn't the case with our own universe? We don't feel pull, until 3D space is bent by a large mass. Or, if we accelerate in a straight line, causing our 4D path to curve slightly, as if we were driving around a sharp bend on the highway ( which is the other case, when feeling centripetal acceleration at constant speed).
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions