Attempt to interpret the Klein Bottle

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Attempt to interpret the Klein Bottle

Postby Secret » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 pm

The klein bottle:

Is a non orientable 2 manifold in 4 space

Below is my attempt in intepret it (visualize in 4D)

klein bottle rendered in googlesketchup, with corners as it's difficult to make toroid shapes in the software
This is the view that gives me the idea to visualize it in 4D when I drawn that (with curved edgeds of course) on a piece of paper some few weeks ago.
The idea is that you have to compare this projection with the perspective projection of the tesseract.

Then you'll realise the fat "bulb" is actually a normal tube bent foward into 4 space (ana) and then bent upwards. The narrow "nose" area is not "within" the "bulb" but "behind" (kata) the bulb. It is first bent left to form a upside down U in 3D and then bent ana and then downwards to join up with the "bulb"

After I realized this, the intersection in the drawing and the render "disappears".

After understand how the ends connect together in 4D, I manage to simplify the classical projection into a toroid like shape

which looks like this render done by someone (found in a google search)
(P.S. I made that klein torus projection BEFORE I saw this)

and a simple object resembles a moebius shape (Later found similar representations on the internet)

from this moebius view, you'll notice how it has no outside and inside. The twist is done at the circle at the base of the object (which in 4D is just like a line).
So from here you'll understand this
wikipedia wrote:In comparison the Klein bottle is a mobius strip closed into a cylinder.

P.S. I didn't made the klein bagel projection as it is too complicated for googlesketchup to do
Secret
Trionian

Re: Attempt to interpret the Klein Bottle

Postby ac2000 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 am

Hi,

thanks for your interesting interpretations and images of the klein bottle.
The klein bottle is one of my favourite objects. I wish I could imagine it in 4D as you can, but I can't (I can't imagine anything in 4D so far, although I've read some books (like Abbot'ts Flatland and C.H. HInton's 4th Dimension and such) and looked at plenty of 4D related illustrations and animations on the net.)
In fact, the things you mentioned in the quotes, about the nose not being inside the bulb but behind it, made me realize that I don't know enough about the klein bottle to be capable to appreciate that object in any adequate way.
Well, it's a pity, but maybe someday I can visualize those things, too.

I have found some interesting pages on the Klein bottle a few weeks ago, maybe you like them (if you don't know them already:)

http://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue26/features/mathart/index
http://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue26/features/mathart/applets2/appletKleinBottle

If you find google sketchup too limited for some things to visualize, maybe the free 3D modeler Blender would be something useful? It's sort of complicated at the beginning, but then you could make all sorts of cool visualizations, maybe. Or maybe POV-Ray would also be great for this, although it's not a modeler, but can be fed with formulas or used with internal objects (I have used POV-Ray a lot over the years but not for representing 4D objects so far).

Best wishes,

ac2000
ac2000
Dionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions