War in 2d and other subjects

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

War in 2d and other subjects

Postby nestheking » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:05 pm

Hi Everybody!

War Tactics for the people on Planet of Myrandia.
Question 1: Why Washtaks in Planet of Myrandia looks right (and all the Bicks look left)? Probably some of Washtaks look left. And probably planet of Myrandia is a circle (maybe a flat line, a square etc.) So left looking Washtaks can go around the circle (whatever it is) and fight with Bicks from their backs. Isn't it possible?
Question 2: Washtaks must wait while somebody fighting in front of him. However, the second man steps on the shoulders of the first guy and use his long sword or spears or arrows or knives or etc. Can tyrannical leader be trained about these new tactics?
Question 3: Dosha is victorious and so Washtaks won the war. But maybe Dosha is stronger than normal guys and he killed 4 or 5 Bicks instead of 1. So if the number of the soldiers are identical 4 or 5 people must survive behind Dosha. Isn't it possible?

Hypothesis 1: I think Fred is a Washtak. Because he looks right.
Hypothesis 2: In 2d world (or whatever its name) people must learn to live together. So when they meet on the road they must pass the other side. For example they must use steps, or they must dig some holes on the road.
Hypothesis 3: I think they (2d people) exist for billion of years. Till now they must have an evolution. So they found a way to look either left and right like some animals in our 3d world look either front and back.

Correction 1: When Emily hammers a tetranail Bob sees a cylinder instead of sphere.
Correction 2: When Bob hammers a nail Fred can not see a circle he sees a line. He just touches the object and understands that it is a circle. And this true for all other objects.

I did not read all of the messages in this forum. If someone else wrote about this subject, I am sorry :oops: . And I am sorry :oops: about my English. Because I am not a Native English Speaker.
nestheking
Mononian

Re: War in 2d and other subjects

Postby pat » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:30 pm

nestheking wrote:Correction 1: When Emily hammers a tetranail Bob sees a cylinder instead of sphere.

Assuming that a tetranail is an object with one long axis and all other dimensions symmetric about that axis, one would assume that if Emily were to hammer it into Bob's three-space, she would do so with the long axis perpendicular to Bob's three-space. If she does that, the result would be be spherical in Bob's three-space. The following picture is of various slices of a tetranail with three-spaces. The three-space where w=0 is the center slice. The slice on the far left is closest to the top of the nail. The slice on the far right has not yet been reached by the nail.
The darker slices are in the area where the nail is chiselled toward a point.
Alternatively, you could think of this as a time sequence from left-to-right representing Bob's view as Emily pulls the tetranail out of Bob's three-space.

Correction 2: When Bob hammers a nail Fred can not see a circle he sees a line. He just touches the object and understands that it is a circle. And this true for all other objects.

Based on shadows and depth cues, Fred can tell the difference between a curved line and a straight line. Further, Fred can walk entirely around the circle and observe that its radius is the same regardless of the angle from which he views it. That wouldn't be true if the nail were square or hexagonal in cross-section. Which of the following is a sphere? a cube? a nonagon?
pat
Tetronian

Postby RQ » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:37 am

Well we can generally agree that this is the example stated in Abott's Flatland.
I suppose that time can be construed in this way as the 4th spatial dimension, as it is continuous which means that it can be divided by an infinite amount of freeze frames just as the 4th dimension needs an infinite amount of freeze frames to describe it from a 3rd dimensional point-of-view.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:51 pm

Your English isn't as bad as some I've seen. I liked your idea of a spearman standing on someone's shoulders. I don't think it would be practical to walk backwards all the way around the planet to sneak up on someone. But maybe 2D planets are smaller than ours.

Bionians are probably a different shape than us, so they might have evolved a way to look behind them. I think someone suggested a semicircular bionian with eyes on stalks in an earlier post. That way they could climb over each other easily and see in front and behind.

I think it would be interesting to study the Washtak's way of life and their tactics in war. It might give us some insight into the 4th dimension.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions