What i think

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

What i think

Postby cory_cpd » Tue May 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Here is what i think A Point (-) dosnt have a heighth width or depth. so its clasified as being 0d. But if space was a dimention then that cingular point would have a place in space where ever it may be. so that would be 1d their for a 1d object "a line" (-----) has a width but nothing else? no it also has a place in space. so wouldn't that be 2d? So on and so on. I would like to get some comments on this and see what other people think of this.

But here is what gets me. I contradict my self saying once you get how high, wide, and deep it is that place in space is figured by them three things. Or am i thinking of space as two different things. one as a dimention and another as a place.

The reason i think of a point as a dimention is because it may have no mass but it dose have a place in that area. so plz show me some comments on this.
cory_cpd
Mononian

Re: What i think

Postby Nick » Tue May 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Well... I think a 0d point would still be confined to 0d space. For instance, a 1d line could still exist in 1d space, it would just move back and forth along itself. A 2d plane could still exist in 2d space, and we are 3d objects existing in 3d space. Besides, in order to move around in space from rest, you would need to exert a force. Since there is are no directions in 0d space, a 0d object would not be able to move. So it's place in space is irrelevant since it would always be at the same point. Besides, how would you show that? You can say a 3d object has a location along the dimensions (0, 0, 0), or a 2d object is at (0, 0), or a 1d object is at (0). So a 0d object would be at ()?

Or, any of the dimensions could exist inside a higher dimension. But, what difference would it make if a 0d point existed in 3d space, or a 1d line in 10d space? It wouldn't be able to move in any of those higher dimensions.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Re: What i think

Postby cory_cpd » Wed May 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Nick wrote:Well... I think a 0d point would still be confined to 0d space. For instance, a 1d line could still exist in 1d space, it would just move back and forth along itself. A 2d plane could still exist in 2d space, and we are 3d objects existing in 3d space. Besides, in order to move around in space from rest, you would need to exert a force. Since there is are no directions in 0d space, a 0d object would not be able to move. So it's place in space is irrelevant since it would always be at the same point. Besides, how would you show that? You can say a 3d object has a location along the dimensions (0, 0, 0), or a 2d object is at (0, 0), or a 1d object is at (0). So a 0d object would be at ()?

Or, any of the dimensions could exist inside a higher dimension. But, what difference would it make if a 0d point existed in 3d space, or a 1d line in 10d space? It wouldn't be able to move in any of those higher dimensions.

that makes sence. So... the 0d even if i counted it as a 1d it wouldnt be relevent because i couldnt move within that space. That makes perfect sence. thanks for clearing that up.
cory_cpd
Mononian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions