4th Dimensional Planets etc.

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

4th Dimensional Planets etc.

Postby LoD » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:38 am

Do you think that anything in this realm, like planets for example, are just fourth dimensional objects, part of which is in our realm?
I suppose it would be like a sphere rotating through a plane, but to two dimensional creatures, it would just look like a circle.
LoD
Mononian

Postby whiteonriceboy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:52 pm

no i don't think so. that sounds really far fetched. that would mean that even we are 4D objects, and why would we be, since we are obviously confined to this dimension? if that were true, everything would be 4D, not just planets.
whiteonriceboy
Dionian

Postby pat » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:59 am

How would we know if we were four-dimensional? Well, we would know if we could see and/or turn perpendicular to our three-space. It is somewhat conceivable to me the we just cannot. As someone mentioned in the big-bang thread, the current mode of thinking is that there are really ten dimensions. It just so happens that six of them are less than a Planck Length in size: 4.05096 x 10<sup>-35</sup> meters. If that were the case, it wouldn't be surprising that we cannot turn our bodies in those directions or that light doesn't seem to fall off as a the ninth power of the radius.

However, if there are any sizeable dimensions beyond our three, then what would stop us from popping out of our hyperplane?

As a side note: In _Slaughterhouse_Five_ by Kurt Vonnegut, the Tralfamadorians see time as simply another spatial dimensions. To
them, we (and they and everything else) look like persistent, twisty extrusions of how we see ourselves.
pat
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions