Trying to Understand What a 4D Landscape Would Look Like

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Trying to Understand What a 4D Landscape Would Look Like

Postby Splat! » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 am

For starters, here's a top-down orthographic view of a Trionian landscape:

This is how a top-down orthographic view of a Tetronian landscape would look like in a Tetronian's 3d retina (no, this is not green feta cheese :lol: ):

The empty areas would be bodies of water, which I left out for clarity.

Now, what I'm trying to wrap my head around is how the landscape would appear in the Tetronian's 3d retina if he/she/it was standing on the surface of the landscape (possibly the surface of a hyperspherical planet or the surface of an infinite cube [4d analogy to an infinite plane] with variations in it's surface for mountains and valleys) ather than looking down at it from far above.

I'm guessing you would have a sky sort of on the top half of the 3d retina, like you would with a 2d retina and things would be warped toward the center of the cube (3d retina) due to perspective distortion.

Would this be right, or am I way off base here?
Splat!
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:38 am

First off, a tetronian would be able to see all the points inside a cube (which their retina is bounded by) at the same time. They wouldn't see the image you generated, which is a perspective projection of said cube. That said, there's hardly any way to visualize it correctly.

Splat! wrote:surface of the landscape (possibly the surface of a hyperspherical planet or the surface of an infinite cube [4d analogy to an infinite plane]

I'll correct you a little before you go any further here. A glome is the 4D analog of a sphere, and a realm is the analog to a plane.

Splat! wrote:I'm guessing you would have a sky sort of on the top half of the 3d retina, like you would with a 2d retina and things would be warped toward the center of the cube (3d retina) due to perspective distortion.

Yeah, pretty much. I agree it's quite hard to visualize how a tetronian would see their world in perspective. I'm sure it could be done with a 4D->3D raytracer, though.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Splat! » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Hayate wrote:They wouldn't see the image you generated, which is a perspective projection of said cube.

My thread title might have been mis-leading. It wasn't my intention to portray what the tetronian would actually be perceiving, but to illustrate how the top-down orthographic view of the landscape would be mapped out onto the surface of the 3d-retina, as a preliminary step toward understanding how the 4-dimensional landscape might appear.

POV-Ray has a way to generate a heightfield by using a grayscale 2-dimensional image to displace each point vertically on a square to make a landscape.

The 4-dimensional analogy to handle this in a 4-dimensional raytracer would be to generate a heightfield by using a grayscale 3-dimensional voxel-style image to displace each point on the w axis within a cube to make a Tetronian-style landscape.

Unfortunately, I don't think any 4-dimensional raytracers at the moment have this feature, so I'll either have to wait for someone to make one or to somehow program one on my own, someday. ;)
Last edited by Splat! on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Splat!
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Splat! wrote:I'll either have to wait for someone to make one

someone = me :) http://fusion-global.org/wiki/HNET
Keiji
Administrator

Postby papernuke » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:10 am

if a 4D being were standing on a 4D peice of land, then it would be like us standing on the ground, but when we preceive the ground as 2D (flat) the 4D being would see it as a 3D figure. just imagine yourself looking at the floor.. then adding another dimension to the floor.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby pat » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:57 pm

Hayate wrote:
Splat! wrote:I'll either have to wait for someone to make one

someone = me :) http://fusion-global.org/wiki/HNET

And, me: http://www.nklein.com/products/rt
pat
Tetronian

Postby pat » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:02 pm

I also started a 4-D hunt-and-chase game that has a bump-mapped landscape. I should upload what I have of it sometime. Hmmm... it doesn't seem to run for me at the moment... But, here are some old movies from it... The top view is x-forward, y-right, w-up. The bottom view is x-forward, z-right, w-up.

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~pat/lj/hunt4dPreview3.mov
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~pat/lj/hunt4dPreview2.mov
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~pat/lj/hunt4dPreview1.mov
pat
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:18 pm

Do, do convert those to AVIs which we can actually watch.

Quicktime is a piece of shit.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby pat » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:49 pm

pat
Tetronian

Postby pat » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:10 pm

So, it only took me a second or two to get it running again.
Here's a more current screen shot...

pat
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:39 pm

Interesting... so what is the point of this game?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby pat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:07 pm

Eh... as originally conceived, it was to be for a programming contest titled "Double Vision". It was just going to be a chase/evade game.... The main point was to start getting comfortable with 4-D by moving around in it.
pat
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions