is 2-D possible?

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

is 2-D possible?

Postby Hafermehl » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:17 am

Excuse my ignorance but, is 2-D even theoretically possible? If one were 2-D, one would be blind, deaf, and mute because even light and sound have widths. One would also be unable to touch because you could not collide with anything as you have no surface with which to hit. Gravity would also inapplicable because technically there would be no mass. How can one even theorize about it?
Hafermehl
Nullonian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:20 am

Please let this thread remain about Geometry.
Brush up on your Sci-fi, quoting once more the episode where
StarTreck "Next Generation" met up with flatlanders, see the
normal thread for these kind of issues!
I haven't the faintest how 2d-mass looks like, but it's supposed existence
generate gravity. Many "thought experiments" around here!
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Postby arsenic » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:28 am

I think 2d peoples use a lot of flat thing to live such as flat light
and they have mass but it is flat mass and flat gravity will affect them

for 4d people they will think 3d people has no mass but in fact 3d people has mass

food,fuel,iron of 4d peoples will be infinity for 3d peoples
food,fuel,iron of 3d peoples will be infinity for 2d peoples

2d people maybe can touch an object but I am not sure
arsenic
Dionian

Postby 4dlayman » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:24 pm

As far as I'm concerned all talk about 2D living beings are thought experiments, theoretical and can never be real. If 2D mass/gravity/beings etc can really exist then we would never know and there is no way we can ever interact with them because their existence is inconsistent with the laws of our universe.
Show me more.....
4dlayman
Mononian

Postby whiteonriceboy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:22 pm

2Der's cannot-

see-no lightwaves

smell-nothing to smell

touch-no mass (argueably)

hear-no soundwaves

taste-again no mass

two D beings would have drastically different lives in a drastically different world, so i cannot feasibly understand them and object to any paralells drawn to then, because there seems to be nothing similar to us in them. this is not like an old mario game, where you don't mess w/ purple mushrooms and bumping into spikes hurt you. everything 2 dimensional is utterly incomprehensible to us.
whiteonriceboy
Dionian

Postby RQ » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:20 am

Yes, thought experiments are the basis of most fundamental ideas. True we cannot interact with different dimensions, but 2D people can still have sound or light, or taste. In fact I think that if we were 2D people we would have been almost sure there couldn't have been such a thing as the 3rd dimension. First of all there are no polygons in the 1st dimension, but there are in the 2nd dimension, and polyhedra in the 3rd and polychlora in the 4th. A proof we might have all accepted were we 2d that 1D and 0D couldn't exist, or higher dimensions, is that there are indeed polygons in 2D and none in 1D (except if you accept a triangle as a line adding up to 180 degrees).
RQ
Tetronian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions