The Danger Fred Could Pose to Bob, and Bob to Emily

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:54 pm

Jay meant a disc, I think.

OK, even weirder.

What if its a torus?

ooooooooohhhhhh.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:54 pm

Geosphere wrote: OK. If it were an infinite plane passing through your desk - would you know it? Is it perceived here at all? Being of no thickness, it exhibits no mass. Light and gravity affect it quite differently than we are used to. How do you know we haven't encountered it? Maybe were not looking for the right thing.

It is possible for this to be true. However, it isn't as interesting to study as a universe where we actually can perceive a planespace, so that's what we concentrate on.
Geosphere wrote:
It is also possible it is a single infinite plane that simply hasn't been found yet.

There are many possible reasons we havent seen such a thing, including, of course, the thought that it does not exist.

yep, that is true.
alkaline
Founder

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:56 pm

Geosphere wrote:Jay meant a disc, I think.

OK, even weirder.

What if its a torus?

ooooooooohhhhhh.

Or any other topologically finite shape - like a figure-eight donut type shape :-)
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:56 pm

If planespace exists as a single square millimeter somewhere deep in the heart of a star in some yet undiscovered galaxy, that would be a real gyp.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby Jay » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:57 pm

I think they both work, it's just the inhabitants are at different places inthe two hypothetical universes. In your spherical one, they move about on the planar surface of the sphere, thinking there universe is 2d when it's actually 3d.

In my circular universe, the inhabitants move about within the circle. You know, just like we move around the inside of our spherical one. Although maybe we are wandering around the realmic surface of a glomular universe.
Jay
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:04 pm

our universe can't be spherical - a sphere is topologically 2d, but our universe fills up 3d space. It would have to be a 3d surface, and it would fill up four dimensions.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Jay » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:17 pm

The universe only needs a 3d surface if it's really shaped like glome, and everything we see exists on its surface. But it's possible that we aren't on the 3d surface of a glome. We can be INSIDE a hollow sphere. Like flies flying about within a jar. Everything they know is 3d, and they are within the jar, even though it has a 2d surface. We could all just be within a sphere, so the fact that it has a 2d surface won't affect us since we don't interact with that part.
Jay
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:25 pm

That wouldn't be a spherical universe, it would be a flat 3d universe with a spherical boundary. Generally when you refer to the shape of the universe, you refer to its shape in higher dimensional space.

Maybe the boundary of our 3d universe is planespace, and there is nothing on the other side.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Geosphere » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:35 pm

Or Neverland is on the other side.
Geosphere
Trionian

Postby whiteonriceboy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:38 pm

all this 'hand-shaking' brings us back to an elemental question, "does Fred have any mass at all? maybe that's why we can walk through theoretical 2D planes, which should be everywhere, without being trapped. maybe they don't affect us because either they have no mass, or their supposed mass has no effect on us. if this is true, then there can be no interaction between dimensions, and it also proves that God is in no dimension, because he can interact with our mass, e.g. the parting of the Red Sea.
whiteonriceboy
Dionian

Postby 4dlayman » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:52 am

Maybe Fred doesn't and can't exist !! If he does exist then he would be unknowable and cannot interact with us.
I don't think god has anything to do with the dimensions....not sure if he even exists....need a lot more proof than the bible which was written by non-impartial humans long ago. (not trying to say anything good or bad about god & religion; just that no one has been able to prove the existence of god to my satisfaction).
Show me more.....
4dlayman
Mononian

Postby RQ » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:05 am

Well according to Descartes, if you want a 100% chance of not having to be doomed for eternity you should believe, but it is a choice after all.
For anything else a reasonable proof is the fact of nonspatial images, or imagination for one.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby whiteonriceboy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:25 pm

i'd love to talk about God, but this is a tetraspace forum, not about religion.
would most of you agree that less-than-3-dimensional beings are nonexistent? with no senses we know of, and probably no substance, how could they?
whiteonriceboy
Dionian

Postby RQ » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:56 am

How do you know that they don't have senses. No substance with respect to 3D. Surely 2D isn't 3D, but they could exist. Whether we can observe them or not, does not mean that they don't exist.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby RQ » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:38 am

The mere fact that we are a 3D universe proves that if nothing else there are our 2D incorporations because otherwise we'd have to be 1D which would be nothing according to your analogy/theory.
RQ
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:39 am

Maybe 2D incorporations don't exist in our universe, or maybe we can't detect them, but we could theoretically create something 2D, or find a way to see into a separate 2D universe.

If that doesn't work, we could always resort to computer simulations. A program is just a one-dimensional string of digits, but it can simulate any number of dimensions.

With a powerful computer, maybe a quantum computer, we could simulate a 2D universe in which Fred can exist. Then we could interact with him in any way we want.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby RQ » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:38 am

I suppose, that cyberspace can be a form of 2D, but all it is is electrons giving you an image which you might perceive that way. Just like saying imagination/thought experiments can make you interact with the 2nd dimension, it is not really physical, but more mental. Im still thinking though whether the 3D could appear all of a sudden in 2D in its 2D incoporation. Perhaps since the 2D itself could not affect 3D, then the 3D would not be able to affect it(its not very often we see ourselves bouncing back from a 2D object). And since the 2D wont affect the 3D, the 3D would not affect the 2D(since it would all have to be in 2D and since the 2D object doesn't affect us or our infinite 2D incorporations, then vice versa.
It was funny, though, when Aale mentioned in one of the earliest topics, "for all I know, gravity might be a tetronian pulling down on my leg."
RQ
Tetronian

Postby Apeironian » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:42 pm

What do we call a nilonian and a mononian?
?, ?, Fred, Bob, Emily...
Apeironian
Dionian

Postby papernuke » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:45 pm

this is hecka old.. you could have just mad e a new thread..

You could use any name. Because Alkaline didnt mention the 0th and 1st dimensions with people. You could use like.. Joe or something.
Use your imagination :roll:
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby zero » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:44 am

whiteonriceboy wrote:would most of you agree that less-than-3-dimensional beings are nonexistent?

Well, I would agree that I cannot think of any way for us (as 3-dimensional beings) to detect them even if they did exist.
zero
Trionian

Previous

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions