The Amazing Tight Sheet Walker!

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

The Amazing Tight Sheet Walker!

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:47 am

I was thinking of how there seems to be a lot of mention of things we can't do because we aren't tetronians. But there are some things relatively easy for us to do that would be very difficult for the average tetranian to do.

For example, just as it takes great skill to walk on a tightrope for us, it would take a great deal of skill for a tetronian to walk on a "tight sheet" or 2-d plane.

I wonder if this means balance is generally harder in the dimensions. I mean, bionians walk on lines all the time, and and a unian (1d guy) would have no trouble balancing on a point.
Jay
Trionian

Postby alkaline » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:10 am

well, the higher the dimension, the more directions you can fall, so balance is harder the higher the dimension.
alkaline
Founder

Postby sup2069 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:54 am

Nice topic Jay :D

I hadnt thought of this idea. Fred would be laughing at bob for trying to walk a tight rope, Bob would be laughing at Emily for trying to walk on a sheet of paper.

EDIT: I meant *sheet of rope*

Talk about reverse teasing order.
Last edited by sup2069 on Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:45 am

Then again, Bob would just tear the paper :lol:

But this is interesting though.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Myriaract » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:00 am

But rope is 3D (but looks 1D), so Fred would fall through it! :roll:
"There is such thing as a tesseract" Mrs. Whatsit - A Wrinkle in Time
Myriaract
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:08 pm

Wow, this topic is old.

I wonder which would be easier: us walking on a rope, or a tetronian walking on a sheet. In both cases there are only two directions to fall but the latter has two dimensions to move in whereas we only have one.

It suggests to me that they're better off...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby papernuke » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:26 am

But it would be harder to balance wouldnt it? because we equalize our center of gravity by waving our two arms in the two directions perpendicular to the rope like idiots. But the tetronian would have to swing however many arms it has in 4 directions to balance.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:29 am

No, it'd be easier to balance if they had more arms to move.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby papernuke » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:57 pm

But if they had more arms to move, then it would be harder to balance . because you would have to control like.. two more arms.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:59 pm

But they would have to control more limbs no matter what they were doing - it isn't something specific to walking tightsheets.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby wendy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:18 am

I really can't see the advantage of tight-hedrix-walking, over tight-latrix.

Firstly, note that the activity is essentially to get from A to B, using the minimalist amount of solid. This would still be a latrix, all be it with some hedrous cross section.

A path is a kind of thick line from A to B, for which the width section is space divided by (height * forward), ie n-2. with a fairly large latrous section going from A to B.

A plank and thence a tightrope is just progressively thinner paths, ie the across-section becomes progressively smaller. So the effect would be mich more interesting and captivating if the across-section is minimal, and the suspension matches the journey: a latrid affair.

W
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Re: The Amazing Tight Sheet Walker!

Postby quickfur » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Perhaps it wouldn't be too much harder for a 4D being to walk a "tight sheet" than for us to walk a tightrope... but I'd imagine it would be much harder for a 4D being to walk a tightrope (think, a thin spherindrical cord). It'd be like us trying to balance on point.

Now imagine a 5D person trying to walk a tightrope... I don't think we have anything to compare it to in our space. :P (It'd be like a 4D being trying to balance on a point.)
quickfur
Pentonian

Re: The Amazing Tight Sheet Walker!

Postby DefyGravity » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:05 am

According to my theory their point in space would be all the gravity for a 4D person to balance perfectly because their point is a sphere to us. If you think about Fred and his living he actually walks on a tight rope for a living without having left and right to fall he is able to keep perfect balance. I'm not sure if a 1D being could actually exist but I will keep my mind open for the time being. When you add in the forth dimension which many people still don't get the grasp of you allow in my theory less ways to fall. Since a 4D being could move in 3Directions with ease it would be able to walk around a ball with absolutely no problems. But in my theory there is no solid objects in a 4D Universe because you cannot move freely through any solid objects so .. I don't think that 4D Beings even exist only fluids, gas, and zero-gravity space.
DefyGravity
Nullonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions