Animations of 4D torii cross-sections

Discussion of shapes with curves and holes in various dimensions.

Animations of 4D torii cross-sections

Postby Plasmath » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:29 am

I made some animations of cross-sections of the 4D torii (and the torinder) that were based on some of the renders by Polyhedron Dude.
Last edited by Plasmath on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmath
Mononian

Re: Animations of 4D torii cross-sections

Postby Plasmath » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:20 pm

Okay, so I've been able to get some higher-quality images from using external links.

Tiger

Ditorus

Torisphere

Spheritorus

Torinder
Note: the first cross-section is just a boring torus for the entire time because it is a prism, however the other two look pretty neat:

I hope this makes it easier to visualize the 4D torii, although I haven't figured out how to make oblique cross-sections yet.
Plasmath
Mononian

Postby Plasmath » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:51 am

Okay, so I've made some oblique cross-sections of all the 4D torii (all at a 45° angle), and although the tiger looks the best, I still think that the others look pretty cool.

Tiger

Here's a slower version of the animation, there's a lot going on.

Ditorus

Spheritorus

Torisphere
I didn't find much of anything interesting when exploring the torisphere. I might look at it in further detail later, but it takes a really long time to poke through the cross-sections.

Torinder

Plasmath
Mononian

Postby Marek14 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:14 am

Look nice -- but I think the speed is set too high. They should change, say, 2-3 times slower.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:43 pm

I know that there are also some interesting rotation animations (between two mid-sections), in 4D and higher.

The interesting ones should be:

Torisphere ((xyz)w): xyz/xyw, two concentric spheres vs. torus, with two concentric circles in xy fixed through the rotation.
Spheritorus ((xy)zw): xyz/xzw, torus vs. two spheres, with two circles in xz fixed through the rotation.
Tiger ((xy)(zw)): xyz/xzw, stack of two torii vs. stack of two torii in different orientation, with 2x2 circles in xz fixed through the rotation.

Ditorus (((xy)z)w):
1) xyz/xyw: two cocircular torii vs. two concentric torii, with four concentric circles in xy fixed through the rotation.
2) xyz/xzw: two cocircular torii vs. two torii, with two pairs of concentric circles in xz fixed through the rotation.
3) xyw/xzw: two concentric torii vs. two torii, with four circles in xw fixed through the rotation.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Plasmath » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Here are some rotations of the torii:

Tiger ((xy)(zw)): xyz/xzw, stack of two torii vs. stack of two torii in different orientation, with 2x2 circles in xz fixed through the rotation.

Spheritorus ((xy)zw): xyz/xzw, torus vs. two spheres, with two circles in xz fixed through the rotation.

Torisphere ((xyz)w): xyz/xyw, two concentric spheres vs. torus, with two concentric circles in xy fixed through the rotation.

Ditorus (((xy)z)w):

I couldn't find the final rotation.

Here's also some rotations of the torinder:

Plasmath
Mononian

Postby Marek14 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 pm

The final one is between two concentric torii and two cocircular torii. Each of them occurs in one of your animations.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby icebreaker » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:49 pm

The animations look very good, visually. But I wouldn't show them to a novice in 4D. I agree with Maker14, time period should be increased. As for the tiger animation, its 'flashing' texture prevents from seeing its very interesting structure, especially for the untrained viewer. If you want to leave stripped texture, it might be well to make colors not so contrast. Also, it's easily to mix up ditorus with spheritorus because of speed and especially lack of transparency. The same problem is visible in torisphere (looks like a glome).

Thank you, didn't see Torinder cross-secitons before. It's a pleasure. How did you get so clear edges? I'm interested what software are you using.
icebreaker
Dionian

Postby Plasmath » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:09 am

I used POV-Ray for the animations, it has the max function implemented so that's how I made the edges.

I could definitely make the tiger less flashy, although making animations longer or transparent would be more difficult because both would make rendering take a much longer time, but I could try to do that.
Plasmath
Mononian

Return to Toratopes