forms of spheres

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

forms of spheres

Postby houserichichi » Fri May 19, 2006 9:56 pm

PWrong wrote:...spheres only have two forms, solid and hollow...

Should it not have three forms? Solid (with boundary), solid (without boundary), and hollow (empty with boundary). There's always empty (empty without boundary).

Split from "Wiki discussion" by Rob.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Fri May 19, 2006 11:18 pm

A "Solid without boundary" sphere of radius r is the same as a "Solid with boundary" sphere of radius:

r+1/∞ > r

as far as I am concerned. 1/∞ gives three results: zero, +x and -x, where x is an infinitely small positive number. I'm sure many of you will disagree with this, but I think it is very helpful to consider this true.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Nick » Sat May 20, 2006 12:11 am

Rob wrote:A "Solid without boundary" sphere of radius r is the same as a "Solid with boundary" sphere of radius:

Yeah, I agree with that.

Rob wrote:r+1/∞ > r

as far as I am concerned. 1/∞ gives three results: zero, +x and -x, where x is an infinitely small positive number. I'm sure many of you will disagree with this, but I think it is very helpful to consider this true.

I thought you couldn't use infinity in mathematics... :?
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Sat May 20, 2006 12:12 am

Solid with boundary at radius r is {x | x <= r}

Solid without boundary at radius r is {x | x < r}

Hollow with boundary at radius r is {x | x = r}

Hollow without boundary at radius r is {}

At the very least, the first two are not one in the same. The third is obvious. The fourth may be omitted at will, in my books.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Sat May 20, 2006 8:14 am

Should it not have three forms? Solid (with boundary), solid (without boundary), and hollow (empty with boundary). There's always empty (empty without boundary).

I agree that an open ball is different from a closed ball, but I don't think it's worth classifying them separately. They're both balls, and they're both 3D objects, whereas the hollow sphere is only 2D.

I might mention the definition of a boundary.
The boundary of A is the set of points x in R^n such that every ball with center x contains points in A and point outside A.
A closed set contains all of it's boundary points. An open set doesn't.
This site has an explanation and a picture.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby jinydu » Mon May 22, 2006 4:03 am

My understanding is that the distinction is important in mathematics because it is easier to do calculus on open sets than closed sets. For example, when minimizing a differentiable function on the interval [0, 1], you have to check all the points where the derivative of the function is 0, and both of the endpoints. On the other hand, if the interval is (0, 1) instead, you don't have to check the endpoints.

The situation gets even more pronounced in multivariable calculus; since boundaries then contain infinitely many points.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Mon May 22, 2006 9:39 am

Maybe I should make some standardizing comments.

First, in mathematics the k-dimensional sphere always refers to the k-dimensional object {x: |x| = r}. { x : |x| <= r } is called the closed ball and { x : |x| < r } the open ball. So the k-dimensional sphere, or short S<sub>k</sub>, is the boundary of the k+1 dimensional closed ball. Mostly used in topology the radius r does not matter and the sphere is up to isomorphism. It makes sense to use these conventions also throughout this forum.

Next the term closed is ambiguous. If we talk of a closed surface/manifold, it means that it has no boundary. If we talk of a closed (general) set, it means that the complement is open, which means in turn that each point has an environment that also belongs to the set (where environment is a base topological term).
To make it more difficult the term boundary is differently (i.e. more specific) defined for manifolds than for general sets (which was PWrong's definition).
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby pat » Tue May 23, 2006 3:32 pm

houserichichi wrote:Hollow without boundary at radius r is {}

I thought that was the hollow simplex without boundary. :)
pat
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Tue May 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Guess what, I was damn sure that was the hollow hypercube without boundary :D.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Oh people! It was the gardener! You can verify it in the papers of A. C. Doyle :lol:

The hollow gardener without boundary ... *head scratch*
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Tue May 23, 2006 10:35 pm

Isomorphisms abound!
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:28 am

Help! The hollow isomorphism are attacking without boundary!*Screamingly runs around*
bo198214
Tetronian

Return to General