Is time considered as energy?

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

Is time considered as energy?

Postby Everynothing » Mon May 28, 2007 2:29 am

Had a brief discussion with my buddy, and concluded that time is in fact NOT energy. Anyone think otherwise?
Everynothing
Mononian

Postby houserichichi » Mon May 28, 2007 2:31 am

They don't even share the same units.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby Everynothing » Mon May 28, 2007 2:51 am

That was the point,time isn't even a property of energy so light in 4D is impossible as long as known existence is possible.
Everynothing
Mononian

Postby Victoria » Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 am

Everynothing wrote:That was the point,time isn't even a property of energy so light in 4D is impossible as long as known existence is possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by light being an impossibility in 4D. But anyhow I disagree with you on time not being a property of energy, I lean toward time as being a momentum, thus a property of kinetic energy, I realise that is an unproven case, but do you think that is contradicted?
Victoria
Mononian

Postby PWrong » Mon May 28, 2007 5:30 pm

That was the point,time isn't even a property of energy so light in 4D is impossible as long as known existence is possible

What do you mean by property? Some types of energy can be a function of time, if that's what you mean. The total energy in a closed system is a constant over time. Anyway, that's a big jump to make. Light would be possible in 4D, it would work exactly the same way as light in 3D. In fact, since light usually moves in straight lines, any more than one dimension is irrelevant.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Everynothing » Mon May 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Since time is not a quantity,being in 4D is impossible.
Everynothing
Mononian

Postby Nick » Tue May 29, 2007 12:04 am

Everynothing wrote:Since time is not a quantity,being in 4D is impossible.

By that logic, it should be impossible for 3D too.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby Everynothing » Tue May 29, 2007 1:38 am

energy and matter are quantities and waves (such as light) can applied be to them. time is not a quantity so it cannot support a wave and thus light (which is a wave) cannot exist in 4D.
Everynothing
Mononian

Postby houserichichi » Tue May 29, 2007 4:40 am

I really don't think I understand what you mean by "quantities" in your last post. Photons posess energy, and photons physically are matter. Matter and energy exist within time (they change as time progresses). Photons are light, thus light is matter which possesses energy (think E=mc^2).

If you're trying to distinguish between something physics (matter/mass/energy) and something nonphysical (time) by arguing that a particle of time cannot exist because it just wouldn't make sense, then I don't think there are many who would argue you...but to then somehow argue that a wave could not exist in 4D (assuming you mean 4 spatial dimensions and not just 3+1 wherein waves manifest themselves quite happily) is quite the stretch of logic.

Care to elaborate on what it is you mean to convey?

To your earlier point about "properties"...what IS, then, a property of energy and/or matter just so we all understand your definitions of the words.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Tue May 29, 2007 7:32 am

There is no link between time (a 1d quantity) and energy.

In cosmological units where G=c=1, then there is a scale where time and mass (or energy) is equal, [schwarzchild radius of a black hole of diameter c*t.) But that these fall on the same scale, it does not mean they can be replaced.

In terms of the quantum physics, time and energy have opposite dimensions, eg time * energy is 'dimensionless', literally, energy = planck constant * 1/cycle-period.

Energy is conserved over time, and therefore the sequence of passages gives or takes no energy.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Everynothing » Wed May 30, 2007 8:08 pm

I really don't think I understand what you mean by "quantities" in your last post. Photons posess energy, and photons physically are matter. Matter and energy exist within time (they change as time progresses). Photons are light, thus light is matter which possesses energy (think E=mc^2).

If you're trying to distinguish between something physics (matter/mass/energy) and something nonphysical (time) by arguing that a particle of time cannot exist because it just wouldn't make sense, then I don't think there are many who would argue you...but to then somehow argue that a wave could not exist in 4D (assuming you mean 4 spatial dimensions and not just 3+1 wherein waves manifest themselves quite happily) is quite the stretch of logic.

Care to elaborate on what it is you mean to convey?

To your earlier point about "properties"...what IS, then, a property of energy and/or matter just so we all understand your definitions of the words.

I agree but a way to define a wave (that is agreed upon by many) is something the is technically nothing unless it is applied to a quantity. if time does have particles then yes it would be possible but what would that imply? It think it is more likely that time is something like a wave that has to be aplied to a quntity such as matter to make, well the earth spin and stuff like that.

>>>
<<<

There is no link between time (a 1d quantity) and energy.

In cosmological units where G=c=1, then there is a scale where time and mass (or energy) is equal, [schwarzchild radius of a black hole of diameter c*t.) But that these fall on the same scale, it does not mean they can be replaced.

In terms of the quantum physics, time and energy have opposite dimensions, eg time * energy is 'dimensionless', literally, energy = planck constant * 1/cycle-period.

Energy is conserved over time, and therefore the sequence of passages gives or takes no energy.

I agree with that too but how would time being the opposite dimesion of energy mean that time is a quantity. the opposition isn't quite like that of matter and anti-matter.
Everynothing
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Thu May 31, 2007 4:35 am

wait (although i dont agree they are the same) light is waves(electromagne spec), and isnt energy also waves? At least it comes in waves dosent it?
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:13 pm

wait (although i dont agree they are the same) light is waves(electromagne spec), and isnt energy also waves? At least it comes in waves dosent it?

Not really, no. Light is an actual thing, so it makes sense to say it exists as a wave. Energy is just a number that a thing or a system can have.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to General