To imagine 4d shapes

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

To imagine 4d shapes

Postby Nasser » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

out of sight out of mind, that is the main problem with us because we can not imagine what we have never seen.
so, if you want to try imagining a 4d shape. cut off your eyes, through them away, replace 4d eyes and connect them to your brain after that you will see something you can not translate in your mind for a long time, like a small baby who still see a colored picture in front of him without recognazing the distances, spaces and shapes
after a long time of headache your brain will start translating the 3d perspective picture as a projection of 4d objects.
Nasser
Mononian

Re: To imagine 4d shapes

Postby Secret » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 pm

This works only if there is actually a macroscopic 4th spatial dimension in reality

Also someone in this forum have showed that maxwell equations breaks down in 4 spatial dimension, thus even if we can saw them, they are not in terms of the light we are familar with
Secret
Trionian

Postby darthbeppo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Perhaps there is a fourth spatial dimension in reality. As we only operate in three, we aren't really able to think of the fourth dimension as being spatial.
Also, I'm no physics wiz, but I've heard stuff about gravity being leaked into other dimensions. Perhaps something like that goes on with electromagnetism. Maybe that's why Maxwell's Equations don't work. That, and they probably weren't designed to take four dimensions into account.
One other thing: would you need three eyes to see in 4D stereo? I mean, we need two eyes to sort of, triangulate distances in 3D, so wouldn't you need 3 eyes to ... pyramidate distances in 4D?
darthbeppo
Mononian

Postby phoenix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:46 am

A being in 4 dimensions would have two eyes for depth perception (each eye receiving one 3D image, which the brain overlays and extrapolates distance from the observer to produce a 4D world in the mind; same would be true in 2D). Beings of any dimension triangulate distance (do you feel that sense of universal connection?)

As far as visualizing goes, keep looking at pictures. Once you get 4D down the rest get easier.
phoenix
Mononian

Postby quickfur » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Secret wrote:This works only if there is actually a macroscopic 4th spatial dimension in reality [...]

Not necessarily. You can use a simulated 4D environment. I've actually heard of an experiment with 4D simulators where it was found that people gradually adapted to moving around and manipulating 4D objects. However, I've never been able to actually find the actual details of the experiment -- how they represented 4D, for example, and how the test subjects were supposed to interact with the simulated environment. From what I remember, it was an immersive virtual-reality sort of thing, so I assume you'd wear some equipment over your head with motion sensors on your limbs. But how they translated this to 4D is unknown to me.
quickfur
Pentonian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions