Tetronian time

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

Tetronian time

Postby anderscolingustafson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am

As a tetronian would have much more space and things to work with for instance more space on a paper to fill when drawing a picture, more space to clean when cleaning a room, and more plants to plant when making a garden I think it may be very possible that a tetronian might adapt by experiencing time differently. I think they might for instance have faster brain waves so that a given amount of time would seem longer to them than to us and they may be able to sense more bits of time in their life than we do.

I also wander rather a tetronian year might have more days and rather it might also take more years for a tetronian solar system to orbit a galaxy than it does for a dionian planet.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Re: Tetronian time

Postby Keiji » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am

They'd probably just live longer, that's the only difference you really need.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby PWrong » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 pm

I think they might for instance have faster brain waves so that a given amount of time would seem longer to them than to us and they may be able to sense more bits of time in their life than we do.

This could be true of any alien species, and is true of children. However it's generally impossible to compare times at all between different universes with different chemistries. We define the second as the time it takes for some atom to flip a gazillion times. In 4D there'd be a completely different definition.

I also wander rather a tetronian year might have more days

You realise every planet has a different year right? 365 isn't a universal constant that applies in all 3-dimensional universes.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I also wander rather a tetronian year might have more days
You realise every planet has a different year right? 365 isn't a universal constant that applies in all 3-dimensional universes.

Yes I realize that I just think the average 4d planet might have more days in a year than the average 3d planet.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:26 am

Why?
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Gravity decreases more quickly with distance in 4d than in 3d so a 4d planet would probably need to orbit more slowly in order to stay in orbit and not escape the stars gravity wile it would also probably need to spin faster in order to avoid collapsing in on it self. So the difference between the speed of the planets orbit and rotation would probably need to be greater in order for it to have a stable orbit and rotation assuming it was the same distance.
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 am

If you do the calculations, it turns out that planets don't orbit at all in 4D. They spiral in, spiral out, keep going. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been. But we won't go into orbit. I'm seeing Tool at big day out today, pretty excited.

As for spinning, planets don't need to spin at all to avoid collapsing. They don't have enough mass to collapse.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

PWrong wrote:If you do the calculations, it turns out that planets don't orbit at all in 4D. They spiral in, spiral out, keep going. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been. But we won't go into orbit. I'm seeing Tool at big day out today, pretty excited.

As for spinning, planets don't need to spin at all to avoid collapsing. They don't have enough mass to collapse.

Isn't that assuming that the 4d universe has similar laws of physics to our own? Stable orbits could probably be possible if a 4d universe had radically different laws of physics of a very particular set of physical laws.
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions