Quickfur's renders

Discussion of tapertopes, uniform polytopes, and other shapes with flat hypercells.

Re: Omnitruncated 24-cell

Postby Adam Lore » Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 am

quickfur wrote:
For the same reason I don't use my own pet name for it---I do have short names for these things, y'know! :)

What's your pet name for it?

I like "luchna" (LUKE-nuh)- derived from the Greek for "lamp". :D

I totally agree that we need some more ordinary sounding, shorter names for polytopes.
Names that sound like they could be actual English words. (Like "vabe", "cune", or "shollus")

We should put our heads together and come up with something everyone can agree on! :P

Keiji, your system is a great start. My only complaint is that it sounds very foreign.

What if we somehow anglicized it (even more)?

for example, "cote" (sounds like "coat") instead of koto. Or "Cotone"..
Adam Lore
Dionian

Re: Omnitruncated 24-cell

Postby Keiji » Thu May 14, 2009 7:45 am

Adam Lore wrote:Keiji, your system is a great start. My only complaint is that it sounds very foreign.

Well, of course it does. It is based on Japanese, after all.

What if we somehow anglicized it (even more)?

for example, "cote" (sounds like "coat") instead of koto. Or "Cotone"..

Well the entire point of what I did was to make them nice and regular. If you changed koto into cote, teto (truncated tetrahedron) would become tet, which is the bowers acronym for the parent tetrahedron, which would get confusing. Cotone, on the other hand, sounds too much like cone.
Keiji
Administrator

Re: Quickfur's renders

Postby Adam Lore » Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am

I understand that it's based on Japanese. :D That is a given.

Just curious, why Japanese?

It seems like a very useful system. The regularity is a wonderful idea.
I think the price you pay for regularity, though, is it winds up sounding more artificial.

I suppose it just depends on what one wants out of a naming system. ;)
Adam Lore
Dionian

Postby quickfur » Thu May 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Adam Lore wrote:The regularity is a wonderful idea.
I think the price you pay for regularity, though, is it winds up sounding more artificial.

It doesn't have to. It's possible to have something regular that sounds very natural according to English norms. It just takes more work to invent, that's all.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Fri May 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Adam Lore wrote:Just curious, why Japanese?

Japanese is my favorite language.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby quickfur » Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Keiji wrote:
Adam Lore wrote:Just curious, why Japanese?

Japanese is my favorite language.

And Russian is my favorite language. :XP:
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Adam Lore » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Good deal. :)

I like Esperanto.
Adam Lore
Dionian

Postby Adam Lore » Sun May 17, 2009 4:08 am

Quickfur, your site is amazing!
Adam Lore
Dionian

Postby quickfur » Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Adam Lore wrote:Quickfur, your site is amazing!

Thank you! Though sadly, I have not had the time to update it for a while now. So many ideas, so little time. :(
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey everyone! Guess what? I'm back!! And back with a bang, too. Check out this beauty:

This is only one of many views of the rectified 600-cell. You can see many more, even prettier views here:

http://eusebeia.dyndns.org/4d/rect600cell.html
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Hmm, apparently I forgot to announce this here, but I've been making renders of the grand antiprism. Here's a sample showing the two rings of pentagonal antiprisms rotating in the plane of one of the rings:

quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:28 am

I don't even know if anyone even reads this thread anymore, but since there's nowhere else to post it, here goes nothing:

This, my friends, is the perspective projection of the runcinated 120-cell into 3D showing the relationship between the 120 dodecahedra and the 600 tetrahedra. Cells on the far side of the polychoron have been culled for clarity's sake, as have the triangular and pentagonal prisms (of which there are 1200 and 720, respectively).

Of course, just this picture alone doesn't do justice to this beautiful uniform polychoron, so I account for every cell in the page dedicated to the runcinated 120-cell, showing them in 9 layers plus the equator. I have to say that the projections featured on that page are some of the most beautiful I've rendered yet. There are just triangular prisms and pentagonal prisms everywhere in all sorts of pentagonal, dodecahedral, and icosahedral patterns, seasoned with a sprinkling of tetrahedra and served with the right amount of dodecahedra. I enjoyed making them as much as I hope you'll enjoy looking at them. :-)
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 am

Oh, and while we're on the subject of nothing, here's a new cell-first projection of the 600-cell that I just made, which must be the best render of the 600-cell that I've done yet:

I hope you like it as much as I do. :-)
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:11 am

quickfur wrote:I don't even know if anyone even reads this thread anymore, but since there's nowhere else to post it, here goes nothing:

I read every new post in this thread, I just don't reply to it because what can I say about them? ;)
Keiji
Administrator

Postby quickfur » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Keiji wrote:
quickfur wrote:I don't even know if anyone even reads this thread anymore, but since there's nowhere else to post it, here goes nothing:

I read every new post in this thread, I just don't reply to it because what can I say about them? ;)

Hehe, thanks. Good to know that at least I'm not talking to the wall here. :D
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 am

I've read this thread as well and I thought the pictures of the 4d polytopes are pretty cool.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby quickfur » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 am

anderscolingustafson wrote:I've read this thread as well and I thought the pictures of the 4d polytopes are pretty cool.

Thanks!!
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:50 pm

I was promised that people actually read this thread, so here goes. ;-)

To celebrate the new year, I rendered the snub 24-cell:

This is a perspective projection centered on one of the tetrahedra in the "second group" of tetrahedra. (The tetrahedra bounding the snub 24-cell can be divided into two groups, the first group of 96 which corresponds with the edges of the 24-cell from which it is derived, and the second group of 24 which corresponds with the vertices of said 24-cell. The second group tetrahedra only share a face with tetrahedra from the first group, whereas the tetrahedra from the first group also shares faces with the icosahedra.) Six icosahedra which share an edge with this tetrahedron are colored in 3 pairs, having octahedral symmetry. The remaining tetrahedra are rendered in (very) transparent yellow.

Hope y'all like it!

It took me a while to get this image just right... It's not simple to balance the color/transparency assignments so that what you want to emphasize is clearly visible. But after all, nobody said rendering 4D in 2D was easy. :lol:

Of course, being a perspective projection, this image only shows the "northern hemisphere" cells; the equatorial and southern cells have been omitted (since otherwise there would be such visual clutter that the image would be useless), and the first group tetrahedra aren't easily discerned (since emphasizing them will only obscure the other parts of the image); so for the full details, check out the snub 24-cell page. </shameless plug>
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:16 am

It is a pretty cool shape Quickfur. If I were a 4d life form and saw it it would be quite a site to behold. I like it.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby quickfur » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:25 am

Thanks for the compliment!

Well, I wasn't quite done for the day. :-P I was browsing over some of the older pages, and decided to give a few of them a face-lift, and among the updates is this brand new projection of the omnitruncated tesseract:

This one is centered on one of the truncated octahedra (instead of the usual great rhombicuboctahedron), which gives the projection a nice tetrahedral symmetry. You can see those big fat great rhombicuboctahedra squashed by the projection ('cos they're being viewed from an angle), almost like gemstones budding from the truncated octahedron. :) This one also took some effort to get right, but, I must say, I'm quite pleased with the result.
quickfur
Pentonian

Family portrait of the convex regular polychora

Postby quickfur » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:47 pm

I seem to be spending more time in Tetronia this month than I've anticipated, but while I'm still here, I might as well send you poor trionians ;) this nice family portrait of the convex regular polychora:

The 4 simpler polychora are projected vertex-first, while the 120-cell and the 600-cell are projected cell-first. (Just 'cos I can. :lol:) You can look at the high resolution image for a clearer view of the highlighted vertices/cells.

This is more of a montage than a true family portrait, though. Each polychoron was individually photographed (er... projected) and then the photographs (er... projections) were assembled into a nice 3D scene. The nice thing about 4D stock paper is that I have a 3D amount of space to work with, so I can arrange for each individual portrait not to overlap with the rest while still taking up only minimal space. Of course, from you trionians' POV, they are overlapping, which is just a part of the illusion. ;)

*Goes back to hide in Tetronia while Wendy laughs at me from 24D space. :D *
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am

This projection of the 6 regular polytopes is pretty cool looking quickfur and it is quite a site to behold. It would probably be even cooler looking if I was a tetronian looking at it.
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby quickfur » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks!!

If this were intended for tetronians to look at, it'd be a 4D scene with the 6 polychora arranged in octahedral formation (since we have a 3D surface on our desk to put them on). Unfortunately, such an arrangement will probably be quite confusing for poor trionians, since the projection images of the polychora will overlap and partially obscure each other.

Having said that, though, I'm actually quite tempted to actually do such a render... once I get my polytope viewer to work with non-convex shapes, that is. Although, now that I think of it, there's a way to "hack" it by computing the orientation of the projection envelope and use that to do CSG in POVRay. Hmmm... maybe it is within easy reach after all! I shall have to think about this. Maybe it will work! (No guarantees that the result will be comprehensible to trionians, though! :D)
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:10 am

I seem to have settled down in Tetronia for the month. Here's yet another uniform polychoron, the truncated tesseract:

I love these mind-bending 4D rotation projections. :lol:
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:26 pm

New render!

This is the truncated 600-cell. This is one of the prettiest renders I've made so far. It really shows you the symmetry of the upper half of the 120-cell (the icosahedra in the truncated 600-cell correspond with the dodecahedra of the 120-cell). You can see that surrounding the central icosahedron (magenta) are 12 icosahedra in dodecahedral symmetry (blue), then 32 more icosahedra (yellow) with 12 of them in dodecahedral symmetry and the other 20 in icosahedral symmetry. Not shown here are the equatorial icosahedra which correspond with the edges of the dodecahedron - but you can see them in a parallel projection on the truncated 600-cell page.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Secret » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:24 am

I wonder if a reverse perspective projection can be made on these spherical polychrons, cause one can gain a grasp of a 3-hemisphere with all 3 curvatures displayed as normal in such projections. IMO the curved 3D sheet that forms the 3-hemisphere will be more visible in such projection
Secret
Trionian

Postby quickfur » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Secret wrote:I wonder if a reverse perspective projection can be made on these spherical polychrons, cause one can gain a grasp of a 3-hemisphere with all 3 curvatures displayed as normal in such projections. IMO the curved 3D sheet that forms the 3-hemisphere will be more visible in such projection

What's a reverse perspective projection?
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Secret » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:15 am

In your perspective projection renders, the centermost/innermost cell is the cell closest to us in 4D
Would you render a similar diagram but instead treating the centermost cell as the cell farthest from us in 4D and place it 'outside'.

In other words, can you treak the lighting so that the center cell in the projection is least obsurbed while the outermost layer (the spherequatorial cells) the most obsurbed?
(might put pics to illustrate the idea in case you don't understand)

Cause (not sure if it is just wishful thinking/illusion/whatever) I think I can see 4d better that way
Secret
Trionian

Postby quickfur » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Funny you should mention that; I was thinking for a while now of making the nearest cell opaque, and subsequent layers more and more transparent. I think it helps me visualize 4D too. :) I'll try to write up a render script for, say, the 120-cell, and see if it turns out well.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Wait, are you referring to Schlegel diagrams?
quickfur
Pentonian

PreviousNext

Return to Other Polytopes