Can atheists create life?

Discussions about the possibility of consciousness, free will, spirits, deities, religions and so on, and how these might interact with time travel, the Big Bang, many worlds and so on.

Can life be created by humans?

Yes
60%
No
13%
This is completely Absurd
27%

Total votes : 15

Can atheists create life?

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:17 am

By the theory that atheists hold, i suppose that if I were one that if I could create the correct conditions then life would be simple to make with the help of humans. If it didnt come from God, then obviously it can come from man, correct?[/b]
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:25 am

I read an article on this a while ago. I can't remember the details, but they expect to be able to create life from scratch in a few years. Of course, it's not just a matter of setting up the right conditions, because then you'd have to wait millions of years. You have to actually get in and build the molecules.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:30 am

If that were to occur (and it would not be rigged), then I would probably consider being an atheist/agnostic. But, remember, they have to take this from SCRATCH, or the atmosphere present in that period of time, and at least provide a catalyst to make the equivalent of around 600 million years. I dont think they can pull it off without rigging it unpurposely (although im not ruling it out, everything has to be exact!)
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:51 am

All they're planning to do is create an organism from a bunch of amino acids. But they're doing it directly, molecule by molecule. So I guess it is "rigged" in a sense. They're not just getting a bunch of stuff and waiting for it to turn into life. As I said, that would take millions of years, and I doubt there's a catalyst to speed it up.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:58 am

Sure there is. Im just saying that it would be possible for the environment in which the life is to be created from can be more densely packed with the "ingredients", therefore increasing the chances of the molecules to appear. Amino acids have been found in star dust-im still not an atheist lol. haha So basically im trying to disprove this "evolution of the molecules by time theory", so if time is a major factor then you would need it to be very fair by including some type of catalyst.
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:17 am

If you pack too densely, there's no room for the molecules to replicate. You might try to speed up the process by increasing the energy, but then the molecules would be too unstable as soon as they form. Also remember that nature had the whole earth, not just a small laboratory.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:23 am

So then would we be able to conclude that only theories can most accurately give way to what actually happened (including probablitiy)? Would we also be able to conclude that for now only a creator can make life be on this earth? Also, I think that there should be a more specialized topic for arguments about a Creator/God, wrong philosophies/errors in the bible that would make contradictions, and so on. Do you agree because i personally like arguing more on the existence of a God/Creator rather than Christianity because that adds on too much more unecessary arguments that could be used about the existence of a God/Creator. Did that make sense? if not, read it twice lol
gerren
Trionian

Postby papernuke » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 am

do stem cells have to do with creating life?i was reading an article about it but i read it a long time ago and i forgot.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:00 am

Any able cell can create life by mitosis through its phases of prophase, prometaphase, anaphase, and telophase etc. So yes, they can, but thats not creating life from molecules joining by chance. Just like all of the cells dividing in your skin right now to replace the dead layer on top.
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:43 am

do stem cells have to do with creating life?i was reading an article about it but i read it a long time ago and i forgot.

Not in the sense we're talking about. Stem cells are a type of cell that you find in a fetus, and one day we'll be able to use them to save lives. We're talking about creating bacteria and stuff from scratch.

So then would we be able to conclude that only theories can most accurately give way to what actually happened (including probablitiy)?

I don't know what you mean. Yes, abiogenesis is a theory, and a good one. Therefore it's likely that it corresponds to what actually happened.

Would we also be able to conclude that for now only a creator can make life be on this earth?

No, of course not. If we can create life from non-life by any means, that proves that it's not impossible. We already have a general idea of how it could happen naturally. So we can conclude that it's at least possible that life arose without a creator.

Also, I think that there should be a more specialized topic for arguments about a Creator/God, wrong philosophies/errors in the bible that would make contradictions, and so on.

I'll split some topics and rename them.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 am

Would we also be able to conclude that for now only a creator can make life be on this earth?

No, of course not. If we can create life from non-life by any means, that proves that it's not impossible. We already have a general idea of how it could happen naturally. So we can conclude that it's at least possible that life arose without a creator.

I meant FOR NOW. That seems to be the only thing besides the idea of evolution as far as simple molecules go, but I guess the idea of a Creator or supernatural being is just as proposterous, huh?
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:10 am

I wouldn't call either idea preposterous. In fact, when scientists do create life from scratch, that will prove that life can be created by an intelligent being. But that doesn't mean it was. As I've been saying, we have a general idea of how life can just happen on its own, so there's no need to bring in an intelligent outsider.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:25 am

we have a general idea of how life can just happen on its own

Yes, we do, but its still a theory that has not been tested out, and all of the things that go into this theory have to be correct, you know.
gerren
Trionian

The greatest test is to bond with one another

Postby Russ1953 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:44 pm

Bond with one another enough and you'll see how power can corrupt. Seize powers infringement upon you and those you know and love. Always leave room for others to be themselves that do not threaten your you, and do not threaten others with you. Seeking etherial over others is power. Cure if you can, fix what can be saved and love what is good. Seeking power over any life is a violation of that life. Seeking to restore life for another is pure, if you don't flaunt your ability. I'm just glad the parts of many of us work. I wish the parts of those that don't would. Especially their care and kindness. This is good.
Russ1953
Dionian

Postby gerren » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 am

wtf?!
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 am

Russ, stop making irrelevent posts or we'll start deleting them.

Yes, we do, but its still a theory that has not been tested out, and all of the things that go into this theory have to be correct, you know.

Astronomers have never built a sun, but we still have a good understanding of star formation. You don't need to be able to replicate something to understand it.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:43 am

Very true (im gonna take up a theist argument now for the sake of the debate), but we have never observed a DNA molecule being formed by natural causes besides meiosis and mitosis now have we (weve seen stars form)??
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:11 am

we have never observed a DNA molecule being formed by natural causes besides meiosis and mitosis now have we

DNA is constructed by proteins, and this has been observed.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:47 am

I am not speaking of the components of DNA (and its made of nucleotides not proteins), but how it is made besides those two processes in a natural world (which has not been observed).
gerren
Trionian

Re: Can atheists create life?

Postby holomanga » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:08 pm

We already have. Some scientist somewhere managed to make an artificial bacterium.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 pm

All that would be necessary to create new life would be to create some amino acids and nucleic acids and put them into water and the nucleic acids should assemble themselves into replicating molecules that can reproduce themselves. You could then put some amino acids in there and the nucleic acids should assemble the amino acids into proteins. Although we could not create complex life from scratch over night we could create the simplest molecular life within a short period of time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby raindog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 am

If life can be created in nature spontaneously given the right ingredients, conditions and time...there is no reason that humans could not create life by imitating that process. Although curiosity about such things may be greater in an atheist, I bet a religious person could create life as well if motivated. I think that's the main ingredient...motivation.
raindog
Mononian

Postby Prashantkrishnan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:25 pm

There is also a view that we can create life just by imagining a fictitious situation. Our existence and lives might actually be figments of imagination of the entity we call god.
People may consider as God the beings of finite higher dimensions,
though in truth, God has infinite dimensions
Prashantkrishnan
Trionian

Return to Consciousness