Foolish

Discussions about the possibility of consciousness, free will, spirits, deities, religions and so on, and how these might interact with time travel, the Big Bang, many worlds and so on.

Foolish

Postby Diff » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:26 pm

No one of you can neither prove that God exists or that God does not exists, we will only know such thing when the world ends (we all agree that sometime the world WILL end, it's obvious).

Looking through logic, debating it is foolish.
Diff
Nullonian

Re: Foolish

Postby Sideshow » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 am

Oh, I was not aware that the Earth becoming consumed by the Sun would give me theological insight.

This is a most interesting development.
Sideshow
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Diff, welcome to the forum :).

Suppose I said I could prove to you that a particular God exists. If you say "2-frame cubinder" and clap your hands exactly n times, for some large n, he will appear and prove to you that he exists, and answer any questions you have about the "true" religion. Other people around you will be able to see him. If at any later time you starting doubting his existence, he'll reappear and confirm it for you. Furthermore, this test works for anyone in the world, not just yourself. You might think it's just a hallucination (brought on by too much clapping perhaps?). In this case, whatever you think will happen at the end of the world could just as easily be a hallucination.

The fact that I can describe this scenario proves that there exists a scientific experiment that could potentially prove God's existence. I present a hypothesis, you test it and if God appears in front of you then that proves he's real. The experiment is verifiable and repeatable. Obviously the experiment doesn't work the other way round; if he doesn't appear you haven't proven he doesn't exist. Anyway the point of this is that theism/atheism can be a scientific question. It does have a right answer, we may not know for certain, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to know, and it doesn't mean we can't put forward arguments in favour of one or the other. It certainly doesn't mean we should accept every possible view as equal.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Sideshow » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Sorry about my sarcastic comment, but PWrong is right. There very well might be a way to prove that a God exists that we just haven't figured out yet. Also, debate and reasoning is anything but foolish. It helps people clarify their views and better define their belief systems. If everyone gave serious thought to why they believe what they do, the world would likely be a better place.
Sideshow
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 am

I wonder, if someone like the Pope proposed my test, how large would "n" have to be before noone would try it?
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Consciousness