complete beginner

Discuss interdimensional programming, Java applets and so forth.

complete beginner

Postby wintersolstice » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 am

I wanted to start programming with 4D+. But unfortunatly I don't know the first thing about "Programming" (not even the basics!)

I want to know:

1) what type of software you use to enter a code that's been written? (if that's not how it works, I'm sorry I don't know)

2) Where can I find more info on codes and languages?

3) what about making websites? (how do make the foundation?)
wintersolstice
Trionian

Re: complete beginner

Postby Keiji » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Gosh.

Firstly it's rather hard to give any solid advice unless we actually know what you're trying to do.

Are you trying to make a 4D game? A 4D modelling program or raytracer? Or do you simply want to make a program to calculate statistics of certain 4D shapes?

To try and answer your questions, though...

1. I think what you mean is "how do you compile/debug a program you are writing?". There are lots of different programming languages and they all come with their own compilers and some of the popular ones even have IDEs. I would personally recommend the C programming language and the Code::Blocks IDE, which includes the mingw compiler.

2. Wikipedia will give you a start. After that, you're generally looking at Google. cplusplus.com has a very nice reference for the most common library functions, which work in pure C as well as the titular C++.

3. If you want to make a website you'd need to learn XHTML and preferably CSS and PHP too. Though if you only want to post your research somewhere I suggest creating an account on the Higher Dimensions Database and contributing there. One wiki can often be better than dozens of individual research sites if there's enough content on it.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby wintersolstice » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 am

Right i'll try and expalin my first question.

Someone on here wrote a code for "4D tic tac toe" If I wanted to play it, what would I have do with the code?

Edit:

Basically what I'm asking is: When you've written a code then what?

and I should thank you for other info so thanks :D
It isn't just for "4D+" stuff it's for more general things aswell
wintersolstice
Trionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Well, you'd have to compile it. Since it's just one C file with no references this is very easy on Linux (gcc -o game game.c && ./game). On Windows you'd load up CodeBlocks, make a new empty project, add the file to it (or paste in its contents) then hit the build & run button.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby wintersolstice » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Keiji wrote:Well, you'd have to compile it. Since it's just one C file with no references this is very easy on Linux (gcc -o game game.c && ./game). On Windows you'd load up CodeBlocks, make a new empty project, add the file to it (or paste in its contents) then hit the build & run button.

I just wanted to say thank you :D I didn't have "CodeBlocks" on my computer, but I have now! I googled it and find somewhere to download it from.

All I need to do now is understand how to use it, and learn some codes:D
thanks
wintersolstice
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:17 am

I'm pretty terrible at programming, including just opening and compiling a program. Although I'm ok with mathematica and I used to program my graphics calculator. Most of my friends seem to be computer scientists these days though.
PWrong
Pentonian

Return to Programming