i wish i'd never been born story

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

i wish i'd never been born story

Postby batmanmg » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:30 am

i heard this story and was looking from some clarity on weither this is a load of bull or there is some validity to it

a guy who wishes he was never born, builds a time machine and stops his parents from doing it... but he only gets the chance to tap his would be father on the shoulder while they are going at it and he disapears.. aparently things worked... but 3 seconds later somene who is very similar in apearance taps the would be father on the shoulder and then dissapears. this happens three more times and then the would be father gives up and calls it a night... the next morning he begins to go crazy with the thought of aliens invading his house and is sent to an assylume...

WTF JUST HAPPEND?

first thing... the fathers always been a nutjob,, but it took the taps on the shoulder when there was nobody there to make the jump into crazytown..

second... that meant no sex for him... meaning no child...

third... the reason that there were 4 taps before the dad gave up is becuase thats how many it took for the dad to give up...

fourth... the reason these guys kept dissapearing and were resemblent of each other is becuase the slight change in the way their consumation and therefore the rest of the events to follow was carried out the original child stoped existing and a different child instead was born... extremely similar though, wich is why the wished never been born and the being able to build a time machine works out... their choices and the amount of time it took them to come to their circumstances was slightly different as well...

do any of these explainations make sense? if not im going to beat up an old guy... and tell him to call them pants and no slacks....

moonlord: Removed poll.
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby jinydu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:54 am

The problem with this story shouldn't be too difficult to see: If the would-be father never succeeded in impregnating the woman, nobody would be alive to tap him. Thus, he never should have been tapped. But this contradicts the claim that he was tapped.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:10 am

so for the story to work, he can't possibly stop his father from finishing... all he can do and the following others is to creat such a variance in his conception that eventualy leads to him not wishing that he was never born
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby jinydu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:11 pm

batmanmg wrote:following others

That in itself is a contradiction. Think about it; only one person could ever have been born. If the "first" person had never been born, how could he have gone back in time to become the first person to tap?
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:16 pm

your right... it wouldn't make sense for there to be any followers... if the tapping cuases the original timeline to be erased and a separate one takes over, then he could have never done it in the first place...

but that leaves the conclusion that the original timeline remains and the two timelines are completely separate or at least fork off at the point that he travels back to... in the one timeline where he builds the time machine he simply stops existing in the new timeline where he is never born he begines existing...
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby faranya » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:27 am

Now, even though there never should have been others, why should it be assumed that all four would wish the same thing with the same determination to achieve said wish? They would have similar life experiances, but could easily have had a serious life changing event that would have thrown them off the wish to never have been born. Birth defects for one. Although this is all irrelevent, seeing as there never would be others, due to the fact that there would be a paradox created. The problem I see is that time continues to advance as each version of the man returns to prevent his life...

As a side note, if this guy has the knowledge and ability to create a time machine...why would he want to kill himself?
faranya
Dionian

Postby batmanmg » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:10 pm

cuz the change of him being in the room was soo little on the timeline it didn't even change his final resolve... maybe he hesitated for a moment but that was it... a moments difference

really really smart ppl... are sometimes tortured by their genuios
obviously not me i can't even spell it let alone have it
too many people have self replicating sigs. Don't copy this.
batmanmg
Trionian

Re: i wish i'd never been born story

Postby HicksonX » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Assume, that the universe had a plan, which consisted of the father getting freaked out on the night, not getting any action, and ultimately end up being admitted to a mental home: :idea:

So, in order for this plan to come to fruition, his Son would have to exist, to go back in time and freak out his future father. Otherwise, the soon-to-be father would have not gotten freaked out because there would have been no future Son tapping him on the shoulder.
And the only way that the universe can create the enviroment for the father to get freaked out, is for a Son to be born, with much self-hate, etc. that makes him go back in time to cancel his own creation, so to an observer, it seems that the father lost his mojo, went to sleep, and had his first meal in a mental home soon after.

Im after confusing myself there :D :D
HicksonX
Mononian

Re: i wish i'd never been born story

Postby zero » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:25 am

If the universe has a plan, then I prefer Larry Niven's version of how it deals with potential time travel paradoxes.

Whenever anyone is about to build a time machine, their sun explodes. There. All paradoxes neatly avoided by a parsimonious, if somewhat deadly, cosmos.
zero
Trionian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions