spacetime in design

If you don't know where to post something, put it here and an administrator or moderator will move it to the right place.

spacetime in design

Postby _vampy_ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:42 am

hi there...im new here and confused lol

i am a design student...and i don't really understand some of the spacetime definition..sorry
i choose spacetime for my concept regarding to the project im doing.
something like "experience different space at the same time or the opposite"

can i just say that spacetime is the main subject and 4D/tetraspace is the sub subject? since they r related?

*spacetime = 4D
*4D = tetraspace

from my undestanding... 3D + 1D (experience / time ) = 4D
example :-

if you are inside the room (3d space) , you will experience whether its cold or hot in the space and that experience, at the exact time is fourth dimension...

is that rite?

i just need simple explaination or examples...
:\ :|
_vampy_
Mononian

Postby PWrong » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 am

*spacetime = 4D
*4D = tetraspace

Spacetime and tetraspace are similar, but not the same. Tetraspace is also called "4D euclidean space" or R<sup>4</sup>, because all four dimensions are identical. Spacetime is called "minkowski space" or R<sup>1,3</sup>. It's not the same as tetraspace, because the time dimension is different to the three spacial dimensions.

if you are inside the room (3d space) , you will experience whether its cold or hot in the space and that experience, at the exact time is fourth dimension...

Temperature isn't really related to the fourth dimension.

Alkaline's website has a very good description of tetraspace, and there are explanations of special relativity (including spacetime) all over the net. I should warn you though, it's quite a difficult topic to do a project on. Even if you do it well, your teacher or professor might not understand what you're talking about. You should probably ask them beforehand if you should go ahead with it.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby _vampy_ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:20 am

hmmm this is way complicated lol

ok ok thank you for ur help....yeah i think i need to clarify this with them
sighs
_vampy_
Mononian

Postby bo198214 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:56 am

Perhaps an easier explanation:

Tetraspace is purely spatial, has nothing to do with time or temperature, or something else.

Space-time is simply the space coordinates put together with the time coordinate.
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:22 am

from my undestanding... 3D + 1D (experience / time ) = 4D
example :-

How is 3d experience? 3d is our universe with directions of up, down, left, right, forewards, and backwards. And the one dimensional universe is just a long line.
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby _vampy_ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:24 pm

bo198214 wrote:
Space-time is simply the space coordinates put together with the time coordinate.

spacetime theory is for the universe "measurement"?
i mean planets and stuff?

:\ :o *faints* lol
_vampy_
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:50 am

Its just like a graph, where you have the X, Y, and Z axis (for the three dimensions). But also, you somehow fit in the time.
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby _vampy_ » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:39 am

right...so xyz can be anything thats 3d rite?
it can be a room...it can be an object...

im just saying generally not "mathematically" becoz i cant understand these math terms lol

A spacetime, in the theories of special relativity and general relativity, is time and three-dimensional space treated together as a single four-dimensional object .Spacetimes are the arenas in which all physical events take place — for example, the motion of planets around the Sun may be described in a particular type of spacetime, or the motion of light around a rotating star may be described in another type of spacetime.

so now it said that physical events take place .....physical event can be anything not just the sun or universe.
example:
the sun penetrate the building creating shadows, it is an event and that shadow does project as 4D.

im just looking for general understanding...less complicated lol

am i wrong again? lol
_vampy_
Mononian

Postby PWrong » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:38 am

right...so xyz can be anything thats 3d rite?
it can be a room...it can be an object...

Well, (x,y,z) can describe any point in the 3D space. Objects are just things that exist in the space. You would call something a 3D object if it exists in 3D space, but it can't fit in 2D space.

im just looking for general understanding...less complicated lol

Unfortunately it's not just the way we're explaining it that's complicated. the subject itself is difficult to understand.

the sun penetrate the building creating shadows, it is an event and that shadow does project as 4D.

Well the building and the sun are both 3D objects, and it is an event in normal (3D + time) spacetime. I don't know what you mean about the shadow projecting as 4D.

Have you read Alkaline's site yet? There's no maths on the introduction pages, just pictures and descriptions.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby _vampy_ » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:52 pm

mmmMMMmmmmMMMmmmmm lol

alrite pw ty for the help and others too ;)
im gonna start one by one again now...mmm

ty :D:D:D
_vampy_
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:18 am

Huh :?: :?: :?:
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Where Should I Post This?