First-Person Lineland Games

Discuss interdimensional programming, Java applets and so forth.

First-Person Lineland Games

Postby Apeironian » Sun May 11, 2008 7:54 pm

There is currently a "website" at: onepixelwebsite.com

However, it sucks. It displays one sentence in Morse code. We could do better. I lay out before you a challenge of thinking of games that can be done with 1 pixel. Then, as a collaborative project, we can script them, and put them online at, say, singlepixelwebsite.com?

What says y'all‽
Apeironian
Dionian

Re: First-Person Lineland Games

Postby ParadoxJuice » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:31 am

One pixel? You wouldn't be able to see that.

Perhaps, there is a red pixel, and you have to click it the second it turns green. That wouldn't be too fun, though. Wait, what if you have to click the pixel a bunch of times to kill the unian in front of you!

Well, I dunno about one pixel, but I had thought of a fighting game that was one-dimensional in the way that you could no jump or step to the left or right. But, the avatars still swung their swords, so it wasn't really 1-D.
ParadoxJuice
Dionian

Postby Mrrl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 am

One pixel is enough to inplement 3D racing (with only one car): color of the pixel will indicate position of the car in the tunnel: red - close to right wall, blue - close to left wall, green - close to bottom wall, violet - close to top wall, grey - in the center. Tunnel can turn in all directions, so pixel will change color and player must correct car direction (probably using sounds of different tones).
Mrrl
Trionian

Postby veggiet » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:07 am

The question for you I think has more to do with can you make a FPS lineland game "fun." It certainly would be challenging. Personally I think have a sidescroller in lineland would be more fun for me. If I have to shoot the red dots to get to the blue dot, I want to be able to see how many red dots are coming from front or behind.

A 1D "maze" might be interesting as a side scroller. if you were able to 'jump over' or pass through a certain number of walls and can move by a set number of pixels at a time.

What I would like to see is a 0D rubik's cube or magic puzzle. Which one be a 1x1x1. It could be represented by 1 pixel or one square. A 'solve' would consist of getting it into the correct orientation, or alternatively simply aligning the proper RGB values. I'm not sure what kind of restrictions or controls I would put on it, and I'm not sure how far I can stretch the definition of a puzzle cube and still make it a fun challenge.

I have read about 1D "cubes" or cube like puzzles, in which a solved state consists of a sequence of numbers, say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. and a "rotation" is more like flipping a portion of the numbers. This in my opinion stretches the definition of a cube puzzle too far.
veggiet
Mononian

Postby Dreamwalker » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 am

A 1D game should be within my current programming ability. :P

I'm currently focused on more profitable work (and often focused on procrastinating by watching Game of Thrones or something), but maybe around September I'll find some time to devote to a 1D game (with a 0D view) and then build a 2D game (with a 1D view) after that. I would take some liberties in how I display the view though.

Firstly, I'd make a rectangle of solid color filling the whole screen rather than a single colored pixel. I mean a pixel is already not technically 0D, so a whole screen representing 0D wouldn't be any worse. And for the 2D game with the 1D view, I'd probably make a vertical line of "pixels" but then stretch each "pixel" horizontally across the screen so that the whole screen is filled.

Secondly, depending on the game, I might need some sort of menu with words and stuff, so that would of course break the 0D rule. Would you guys agree menus are an acceptable break from the rule, or would you disagree?
Have some good dreams.
But more importantly, have a good reality.
Dreamwalker
Mononian

Postby Dreamwalker » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:13 am

Would you say something could still be a 1D game if it had TWO pixels? (or two big rectangles, each covering half the screen)

Just as humans have 2 eyes, we could imagine (ignoring all the physical implications) that our 1D character has an "eye" on both ends of its body and can somehow move in both directions (because I guess gravity it's just pushing everything together into one clump, nor is a big bang propelling points away from the origin such that they'll never meet again). I thought about this because veggiet was talking about red dots "coming from front or behind".
Have some good dreams.
But more importantly, have a good reality.
Dreamwalker
Mononian

Return to Programming