time travel?

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

time travel?

Postby papernuke » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:45 am

i have a question, if you traveled foreward in time then if you went past your timespan, for example your 20 and you live to 100, which in this case is 80 years, wouldnt you just die?

and the same for going back in time, wouldnt you just get unborn or something?
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Universally_thinking » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:30 pm

natural death is not a fate, you can choose how long you want to live for. You wont just die becuase when you time travel you materialise to matter and go through a parralel universe and de-matrielise. who watches dr.who :D
Universally_thinking
Dionian

Postby moonlord » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:22 pm

What you're reffering to are some of the time travel paradoxes. They are a reason scientists generally think time travel (in H. G. Wells' perspective for example) is not possible.

While apparent paradoxes also appear in real life, nobody has found a way to bypass the time travel related ones.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:23 pm

Universally_thinking wrote:. who watches dr.who :D

Who's that?
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby Dimensional » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 pm

No. It's called Relativity. The faster you go, the slower time gets for you. You see if you accelerated to a speed so fast that time was basically still or moved so slowly that it seemed still then you could accelerate through time. Let's say you decide to run around the solar system and it takes you 5 years, it could accelerate time 50 years ahead. But that's just an example.
Dimensional
Mononian

Postby gerren » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:00 am

is it true that if you reach the speed of light or surpass it then you can go into the future? i think i heard something of that of einstein
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:48 am

is it true that if you reach the speed of light or surpass it then you can go into the future? i think i heard something of that of einstein

You're already going into the future, at the rate of one second per second. If you get on a spaceship and go really fast, and I stay on earth, you will see my clock will slow down. But I will see your clock slow down compared to my own. Also, if you accelerate away from earth, then come back, you might age a week while the rest of us age 100 years.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby houserichichi » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:57 pm

...and keep in mind that it's impossible as per relativity once again for anything with mass to surpass the speed of light. We can get pretty close, though - well not us, but...
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:42 am

But tachyons in theory can surpass or almost surpass the speed of light, and tachyons have at least some mass. It is very small, the square of it is stilll under zero, but it still has mass. How?
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:03 pm

The square of the mass is less than zero so the mass itself is imaginary, not real (something you probably haven't learned yet in school). Anything with a negative square-mass necessarily travels faster than light. Anything with real square-mass necessarily travels slower than light. Anything with no mass necessarily travels at light speed.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby Nick » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:28 pm

houserichichi wrote:Anything with a negative square-mass necessarily travels faster than light.

But, seeing as how that's not possible in reality, nothing moves faster than light.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:55 am

Can't say that for certainty. The number 2 is no more real than the number 2i, it's just that all our experiences are with the real numbers.

Anything with imaginary mass moves faster than light as per relativity. It's not forbidden.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Re: time travel?

Postby Pentoon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 am

In H G Wells' "The Time Machine," and I'm thinking of the 1960 George Pal movie, George the time traveller notes that in his first experiment the clock on the wall outside the time machine went ahead several hours but his pocket watch, which was in the time machine with him, showed only a few seconds had passed. His time machine uses t sub 0, world-time, as a space dimension when it travels. On board the time machine, he is using a second time dimension, t sub 1, as his time dimension. On an x - y graph, make the x axis t sub 0, and the y axis t sub 1. When he time travels, he is going rapidly along t sub 0, traveling years and decades as if they are a space direction, while going very slowly in his time machine time dimension, t sub 1, and so he ages only a few seconds. On the graph, this makes a very shallow slope. The time traveller is in a universe of two time dimensions, but he uses only one of them at a time as a time dimension. In ordinary life, we never encounter time machine time, t sub 1. It is a fifth dimension.
Pentoon
Mononian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions