Theory on Paradoxes and the like

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

Theory on Paradoxes and the like

Postby SpunkySkunk347 » Tue May 23, 2006 10:48 pm

Most people agree with me that the only explanation for how paradoxes are resolved is that there is an infinite amount of universes that have different courses of events.

Me and my friend were arguing one day. I said there is an alternate universe for every possible situation. For ecample, lets say that our sun isnt in it's current position. Instead it is a few miles in a different direction from where it is now. This would alter all events on earth and around the sun.

But my friend said that there is only an alternate universe for every possible outcome of problem that a being of free will makes. For example, instead of brushing your teeth for 1 minute this morning you only brush your teeth for 45 seconds. This would alter the flow of events forever.

This eventually brought us to an argument that the very laws of physics are defined by thought. Because without the thought of creating time travel, there wouldn't be a reason for there to be an infinite amount of alternate realities to resolve paradoxes. What do you guys think?
SpunkySkunk347
Mononian

Re: Theory on Paradoxes and the like

Postby Nick » Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 pm

SpunkySkunk347 wrote:Most people agree with me that the only explanation for how paradoxes are resolved is that there is an infinite amount of universes that have different courses of events.

I don't agree; I don't know what paradoxes you are talking about, but I don't paradoxes of anything exist in the first place.

Me and my friend were arguing one day. I said there is an alternate universe for every possible situation. For ecample, lets say that our sun isnt in it's current position. Instead it is a few miles in a different direction from where it is now. This would alter all events on earth and around the sun.

But my friend said that there is only an alternate universe for every possible outcome of problem that a being of free will makes. For example, instead of brushing your teeth for 1 minute this morning you only brush your teeth for 45 seconds. This would alter the flow of events forever.

This eventually brought us to an argument that the very laws of physics are defined by thought. Because without the thought of creating time travel, there wouldn't be a reason for there to be an infinite amount of alternate realities to resolve paradoxes. What do you guys think?

Why does there have to be even more than one universe?[/i]
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Wed May 24, 2006 12:09 pm

See "The Butterfly Effect".

Theory: Every time a entity makes a choice, there are created enough Universes to represent each variant of the choice made. In this case, the "world" is simply large enough to contain all possible evolutions of the Universe, therefore reducing drastically the role that the hazard has. There are no more random things. It is only random the branch you are in. In fact, you are in all branches, the question that arises is regarding every of yours "egos". So, you're in fact quantic.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Wed May 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Fine, that you answer for me ;)
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Wed May 24, 2006 6:00 pm

Have you seen the movie, bo? Last time we checked, you were still searching for it... :)
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:38 pm

*cracks under so much pressure*
Gosh, I finally managed to see it!
Couldnt I come back with again telling not having seen it?! ;)

Hm, its a nice film. Though not really surperior, the idea is.
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Sat May 27, 2006 1:08 pm

"Superior" is mandatory comparative. You use it incorrectly in the context ;).
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby ossium70 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:19 am

My understanding of a time paradox is that it is the outcome of a incorectly calculated situation its like saying 3+4=8 it just dosent make sense. a paradox a way of saying you wrong try again.
ossium70
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 am

SpunkySkunk347 wrote:Most people agree with me that the only explanation for how paradoxes are resolved is that there is an infinite amount of universes that have different courses of events.

If there were an infinite amount of universes, then, every variation of every single event occurring, no matter how unlikely, would occur; however, i do not see how that would solve your paradoxes. a paradox is a group of statements that defies an intuition.
so..

if you brushed your teeth for a minute, instead of 45 sec., someone in another universe would have brushed for a minute.
anyways, how could that affect the flow of events forever anyways?

The laws of physics are defined by observation. time travel and infinite amount of alternate realities and whatnot are 'theoretical'
they never may hold to be true. However, Galileo observed that objects fall at the approximate same rate. Newton observed things and wrote his principa, he did not think it up.
the list goes on
however, then, you get to people like stephen hawking. his ideas are widely accepted, although they are not taken to be true by all, and are therefore 'theoretical'
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions