timespace - spacetime

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

timespace - spacetime

Postby thigle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:33 am

what is the difference (if any) ?
and what is the sameness of these 2 ?
thigle
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:44 am

I haven't heard of the term timespace, but I guess there's no reason why you couldn't rename "spacetime" as "timespace". There really isn't a difference anyway, since spacetime points are represented using a single 4-vector in special relativity.

Usually, in special relativity, spacetime vectors are represented in the form (ct, x, y, z). If you wanted, you could rewrite this in the form (x, y, z, ct). All you would have to do is change the order of the rows in all the Lorentz transformation matrices.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby houserichichi » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:03 pm

I looked timespace up on google and came across a bunch of personal websites of amateur physicists. I suspect that it's a word coined to be dual to spacetime (dual in what sense, I don't know). If I'm wrong then I'm wrong...it's not a generally accepted word that I'm aware of, anyway.
houserichichi
Tetronian

Postby thigle » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:51 pm

it surelly isn't generally accepted word. that's why i am asking. not for what is known(accepted)but what one thinks.

like can there be events coordinated by 2 time-like and 2 space-like parameters ? i don't know i didn't make search, i was just thinking that maybe it depends on the ratio of space-like & time-like dimensions. or that there is some kind of super-symmetric construct to spacetime concept, in some models of cyclical universes.

in certain semantics, a flipping process - a point of reversal or spin (what merleau-ponty in philosophy calls 'chiasm') in syntax is the minimal difference that generates meaning. so feeling thinking & thinking-feeling are different as red-green green-red are. (kent palmer's exemple).
so generally people who don't embody thinking, have hard-time in distinguishing these 2 duals.

or that someone dreamed something...

btw, i am not even an amateur physicist.
thigle
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:10 am

i dunno what timespace is (probably the space where time is) but spacetime is the time that it takes to go through space (i think)
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby jinydu » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:55 pm

No. Spacetime is the set of all points that represent a particular place in space and a particular instant in time.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby papernuke » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:47 pm

lol ok jinydu, i never learned it i just guessed lol
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions