The problem with time travel as I see it

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

Postby moonlord » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:08 pm

And perhaps an admin will split the thread :D .
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 pm

I've just seen 'The Butterfly Effect' movie last night and seemed a plausible way of dealing with time travel, however only to a limited extent. What do you think?

I loved that movie, but I don't know if it would work. The general idea is that you have "blackouts" where you don't know what happened. Then you go back in time and change what happened during the blackouts. Then you go back to the future and everything has change.

It actually reminds me of something that apparently happens in quantum mechanics. It's an experiment related to the double-slit experiment, called the "delayed choice quantum eraser". I can't remember how it works, but it somehow involves the future determining the past, in some self-consistent way.

The movie is about human beings though, which makes it hard to test it for consistency.

In physics, time travel is called a "closed time-like curve". The paradoxes either involve something happening to prevent you from going back in time at all, or information being created from nowhere.

Has anyone seen a time travel movie/story where they travel back in time, but instead travelling back to the future, they just stay and wait? That might not involve so many contradictions.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby papernuke » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:27 am

first of all, no one has really went back or fourth in time and if they did they would be able to do everything they could do before they went back

also if they went back and killed a person for example, then whoever that person (if woman) was going to give birth to wouldnt have been given birth to and if she did somthing that changed the world that wouldnt happen (unless someone else did it or found it)

if it was a man, whatever he was going to do, for example einstine, wont happen unless someone else did it or found it

alll i mean is that whatever the thing or person or whatever he messed with will lead to the present of where he came from
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Previous

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions