is time fabricated?

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

is time fabricated?

Postby 3l3ctr0 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:33 am

I do not believe that time actually exists. We live in a 3 dimensional world and time seems to travel in a straight line, we can’t go forward in time or backwards, there is no up or down either. What is time if not something that clocks can tell, something that the human race created? do you understand what I am trying to say? or am i just going crazy......
3l3ctr0
Dionian

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:36 am

time exists. clocks measure something. Whether or not it is constant over large areas etc is largely irrelevant to the clock, or the things that are regulated by the clock. It could be like gravity. it could change from place to place, but it keeps us on the ground none the same.

W
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby eagle512 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:27 am

Yes time does indeed exist. However, it does not exist in the way most think it does. Time is not constant and certainely can be slowed down according to relativety. Time can even stop, at the point one reaches the relatve proximity of a black hole

I believe time is not another dimension but rather a part of the universe that controls changes, like in an atomic clock. Time is not a theory or a way that we choose to represent our existence, time decides the fate of every particle in the universe.
eagle512
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:50 pm

time does exist and clocks do tell some form of it, it does go in a straight line and if you go foreward or back in it it would look like this

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

or
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

yes and time can be slowed down by velocity or relativetly and certainly can be stopped in a black hole and no i dont think its another dimension same as eagle512
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby duraultra » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:44 am

eagle512 wrote:Yes time does indeed exist. However, it does not exist in the way most think it does. Time is not constant and certainely can be slowed down according to relativety. Time can even stop, at the point one reaches the relatve proximity of a black hole

I believe time is not another dimension but rather a part of the universe that controls changes, like in an atomic clock. Time is not a theory or a way that we choose to represent our existence, time decides the fate of every particle in the universe.

You say time is not a theory, but I must say that it most definitely is. It may very well be an excellent theory, but a theory nonetheless. You can never prove anything, only disprove other ideas. And that has to do with probability.
I think upon the ponder while I'm pondering the thought.
duraultra
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:51 pm

You can never prove anything, only disprove other ideas.

Of course you can prove things. Anyway, to prove that "X is true" is the same as disproving the idea that "X is false", so your statement is self-contradictory.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:37 pm

PWrong wrote:
You can never prove anything, only disprove other ideas.

Of course you can prove things. Anyway, to prove that "X is true" is the same as disproving the idea that "X is false", so your statement is self-contradictory.

No, their different. For example, we can't prove that gravity will always pull things towards the earth. I can drop a pencil, and watch it fall, as many times as I want, but I can never prove that it will ALWAYS fall. I can never prove that every time I drop it it will fall, unless I spend an infinity dropping the pencil. However, it only takes one time for the pencil to go upwards to prove that the earth doesn't pull things towards itself.

Proving X is true is quite different from proving X is false.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby duraultra » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks irockyou*, you pretty much cleared that up for me in a way I probably wouldn't have been able to, but I knew I had a point. My chemistry teacher used the same example only it was about the sun "coming up" the each day. Oh well.
Last edited by duraultra on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
duraultra
Dionian

Postby bo198214 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:17 pm

you mean irockyou, dont you?
Hopefully not the result of moderated marijuana use ;)
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby duraultra » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 am

:D Good call.
duraultra
Dionian

time

Postby pacecil » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:27 am

Clocks don't measure anything. They are simply machines set to run at an arbitrary speed. That speed matches the rotation of the earth.
A unit of time is equal to the unit distance some object moves through divided by the average unit velocity of the object as it moves through the distance. As Einstein said "time is just the movement of hands on a clock."
There is no "time", only "events"
pacecil
Mononian

Postby jinydu » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:10 am

duraultra wrote:You can never prove anything, only disprove other ideas. And that has to do with probability.

It depends on what you mean by proof. There are usually two notions of proof:

Inductive proof: Repeat an experiment many times. If the results match your predictions every time, your predictions are proven. Strictly speaking, this is not really a proof, but I doesn't meet an absolute standard of rigor.

Deductive proof: Demonstrate that someone is true based on a chain of logical deductions, starting from a collection of assumptions. This kind of proof really does meet an absolute standard of rigor and really is proof.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby bo198214 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:01 am

jinydu wrote:Deductive proof: Demonstrate that someone is true based on a chain of logical deductions, starting from a collection of assumptions. This kind of proof really does meet an absolute standard of rigor and really is proof.

Its only a proof if the assumptions are true.
Because one never knows if they are true (by Gödel for each complex enough system we can not proof its soundness with its means) nothing is provable :)
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:54 am

i agree and disagree at the same time.. like a suicidal clostophobic cat in a box with poison...

what would hapen if the entire EVERYTHING was frozen to absolute zero... or if EVERYTHING simply stoped moving.... absolutely everything... time in the classical sense would continue on its merry way... but if you consider time to be the constant fluxuation of distance between events then TIME HAS STOPED... it has seeced to be... WHAT??????
batmanmg
Trionian

Postby moonlord » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:39 pm

If everything stopped moving, they'd attract or repel (gravity/electrostatic/...) and continue on their journey. :)
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

C'Mon

Postby toddrobert38 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:58 am

I think they key to this discussion is whether or not time is a dimension or not. Certainly it is what it is from OUR point of view. It's a measurement. But is it a dimension? I kind of doubt it. In fact it seems a silly concept really. Let's be real here- it's a three dimensional world. Can anyone prove otherwise? Not yet, I doubt they ever will.
I like self repicating (whatever that is) and marajuana both... any problems with THAT?!! haha
toddrobert38
Nullonian

Re: is time fabricated?

Postby 3l3ctr0 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:22 am

moonlord wrote:If everything stopped moving, they'd attract or repel (gravity/electrostatic/...) and continue on their journey. :)

what if there was a single object suspended and isolated alone (hypothetically out of the reach of gravity) then nothign will move and once again time is no more.

also if you are saying that time continues as long as there is motion then you are saying that all it does is hold a referince point too look back on. If thats the case then why not just take a picture, if there is a change from then to now, why not say a picture is time?

toddrobert38 wrote:I think they key to this discussion is whether or not time is a dimension or not. Certainly it is what it is from OUR point of view. It's a measurement. But is it a dimension? I kind of doubt it. In fact it seems a silly concept really. Let's be real here- it's a three dimensional world. Can anyone prove otherwise? Not yet, I doubt they ever will.

i dont mean to sound harsh, but i never intened time to be thought as a dimension, i was just wondering what it is doing in a 3D world with having charactoristics of well the arrow of time.
3l3ctr0
Dionian

Postby Kalabu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:35 am

A few answers from Kalabu again. Time it exists now we cant pin point time can we because the second we pin point it time passes even if you dilot time what speed would you exist in and what speed would the cells around you exist in. so if I came back in time and operated around you while you were frozen you would be lit up like a fiber optics Christmas tree (or something like that).
Kalabu
Mononian

Postby stealthtank91 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:18 am

i think the truth is that there is no such thing as time, only space. Time is an illusion created by our limited perception. the RATE of time is determined by how fast our mind proccesses information ( like for example with phsycodelics people feel like time is slowing down, because thier mind starts proccessing info faster). Time is the 4 dimensional crossections of our 3 dimensional selfs. if you where to see your entire body in the 4th dimension, it would be like seeing your birth, death, and everything in between in a single instance infinitely. But really time is acually space. Its hard to explain but lets say you picked up a pencil and if you moved it, the pencil would leave a trail of itself behind it . The pencil in the fourth dimension (time as we call it) would acually take up more space than in the 3rd dimension because not only would it have: length, width, and height, but it would also have "moved" from one spot to another" which by looking at it from a 4D perspective would take up space from point (A) which was a desk lets say to point (B) which is the other side of the room. So the only way to imagine the pencil taking up 4D space is to imagine the pencil taking up the 3d space in point (A), point (B) and all movements/locations between point (A) and (B). So the pencil would look like a "snake like" entity in the 4th dimension ( or at least thats the only way we can imagine it)

> "|" < - pencil

DESK------------------>>>OTHER SIDE OF ROOM
Point A |||||||||||||||||||||| Point B
[1 sec.] [2 sec.] [3 sec.] [4 sec.] [5 sec.]
------------------------------------------------->>>

unfortunatly i cant show a better illistration but if this line was really a 3d pencil then u could measure its 3 dimensions, and also measure its size in the fourth dimension as "movement". Our bodies and everything else in the universe has more than 3 dimensions. and we only see "frames" if you will, of the fourth dimension which we call the "present" Memories are only info. that we collected as we move through the 4th dimension which we call the "past". Keep in mind that time is only created by our limited perception and the only way we could see the 4th dimension as a whole, is if our minds could hold an infinit amount of information at once, or at least enough info. to see your birth, life, and death as one instance.

The 4th dimension also creates "faith", which is the unescapable destiny everything has in the universe. Whatever you're going to do in the 3rd dimension, already happened, will happen and is happening in the 4th dimension. Except your can only see 1 moment of the 4th dimension at a time so it kind of creates a false sense of "choice". If you choose to kill some one, or take a nice shower instead, it doesnt matter in the 4th dimension, because whatever your picked, is already there in the 4th dimension. The thing is in 4D space, it seems like objects or point particles would collide and fold onto themselves, for example: if you stayed in your chair for 2 minuts lets call this - ( Point A), then got up, walked into another room, came back and sat down for another 2 minuts -(Point B), your body in the fourth dimension would collide your (Point A) self, with the your ( Point B) self. :o So its like your would be sitting inside yourself but in a diffrent point in "time", or "space" should i say.

SORRY FOR LONG EXPLANATION AND CONFUSION I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU VISUALIZE THE 4TH DIMENSION :D
stealthtank91
Mononian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions