time travel?

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

time travel?

Postby Hugh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:41 pm

Let's say that someone makes a time machine, steps in, and flips the switch for "backwards". The problem is that as the time moves backwards, the atoms that make up not only the time machine but the person's body were actually occupying a different location back then. (ie: if it worked correctly, then the person would get out of the machine and take it apart as the time went backwards.)

If one were to be able to stay in the machine, one would have to find a way to not only "fill the void" left by the matter he would be using, but "create a space" for the machine and himself as he travelled back.

I'm wondering if there would be a way to have those requirements cancel each other out. :)
Hugh
Tetronian

Location in an expanding and unstable universe

Postby lobster » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:12 am

:) Hi Hugh

This is a question we have considered.

Location in an expanding and unstable universe is not so easy.
Initially it is likely that fields and non mass transfers will be easier, don't you think :)

Would creating a transfer in space be safer (at present expensive)?

A big part of time travel is the manipulation of gravity in order to create and sustain absolute vacuums into which a known pattern can be expected. Well that is how I understand it . . .
:)

At the moment this area of teleportation is being investigated by IBM and others but at the present time is only available on the quantum level

My netname is Lobster (real name Ed Jason). Hi.
I run the tmxxine open source time travel website and I have placed a link to this forum on our news page for Feb 26 2006. The project has been around for years but the website is new

http://tmxxine.com/
Last edited by lobster on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Source Time Travel
Tmxxine
lobster
Mononian

Postby Hugh » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Hi Lobster,
Location in an expanding and unstable universe is not so easy.

Yes, I've often thought about how the exact location of an event from the past would be far removed from one's current location. Not only are the planet, solar system and galaxy moving, but the universe is expanding as well. You'd have to "put everything in the universe back in its' place" to time travel properly, but when you do that, you end up back there with no memory of the future because your brain back then had no memory of the future you came from. There would have to be some way to shield your brain from that event to make it work. Either that, or learn how to transfer one's consciousness into your body's previous state.
Initially it is likely that fields and non mass transfers will be easier, don't you think :)

Yes, it's easier to visualize a field changing or a vibrational change taking place rather than mass suddenly changing location.

Might there be a way to create a vibrational change in the field of the universe to bring it back to where it was in the past, or even just a small section of it?

Thinking about what we are actually made up of on the quantum level is fascinating. (We may really be just vibrations.) To what extent can our thoughts actually change ourselves, those vibrations and the universe on a quantum level? We have so much yet to learn and discover. :)

The teleportation experiments are interesting... we'll see how far they can be developed.

Welcome to the forum Ed, and nice website too. :)
Hugh
Tetronian

quantum and macro level effects

Postby lobster » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:30 am

Hugh wrote:Hi Lobster,

Yes, I've often thought about how the exact location of an event from the past would be far removed from one's current location. Not only are the planet, solar system and galaxy moving, but the universe is expanding as well. You'd have to "put everything in the universe back in its' place" to time travel properly, but when you do that, you end up back there with no memory of the future because your brain back then had no memory of the future you came from.

?
You are transferring a future self with memory
However what you are describing is still rather difficult

There are some experiments already (that I am sure people here are aware of) involving scalar waves and the slowing and speeding of light. The best actual, realistic, technologies involve quantum entanglement and transmission.
Entangled particles are theoretically distance independent. How to create a difference based on "entangled across time?" This may be possible by cloning their entangled state based on a past condition.

You say something similar here:
Might there be a way to create a vibrational change in the field of the universe to bring it back to where it was in the past, or even just a small section of it?

and then you say:

Thinking about what we are actually made up of on the quantum level is fascinating. (We may really be just vibrations.) To what extent can our thoughts actually change ourselves, those vibrations and the universe on a quantum level? We have so much yet to learn and discover. :)

tmxxine does not rule out areas that science normally tries not to encompass (but increasingly is)

Art
Metaphysics

The difference between quantum and macro level effects may be something we will explore further . . .

Welcome to the forum Ed, and nice website too. :)

Many thanks for the welcome and kind words :)
I would be pleased to hear more ideas . . .
Some of our previous pages are here, it will take a while to update
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/April_2005
our new site which is only a couple of weeks old (young)
Open Source Time Travel
Tmxxine
lobster
Mononian

Postby WalkingEagle » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:14 pm

I've been intrigued by the idea of Time Travel for a long time, but never looked it up really.

I've read what I could in my limited time on this website and wondered:

If time changes space what would be the mechanism in place to protect the rider from the changes going on around him/her? Also consider the extreme possibility that the space the traveler/machine is occupying would be subjected to solid object occupying that space (in time) which are solid through and through. What iff there were an earth quake of the kind that removed that bit of real estate the "machine" originally rests upon? Then there is the possibility of something crashing into that particular space in time, what happens to the traveler, or is it that the movement through time protects the traveler from being annihilated?
What is existence?

WHO called it up?
WalkingEagle
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:40 pm

i didnt get the last part, but i got the front. if someone did go back in time, he/or she would take w/e he made apart
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby lobster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:17 am

Teleportation into another time or dimension is quite advanced. Even in a vacuum, consider that a great deal exists, especially when you teleport into it.

Initially we have to consider teleportation through entanglement in our universe. The first efforts being devoted to quantum communication and computing.

from theory
http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/physics/non_issues_FTL.htm

to technology
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly ... 93,00.html

and beyond . . .
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/tmxx/dido.html
Open Source Time Travel
Tmxxine
lobster
Mononian

Postby papernuke » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 am

Oh and, lobster, my name is jason too. First name though. Jason liu.
papernuke
Tetronian

Postby lobster » Wed May 16, 2007 2:42 pm

:D
Hello again guys.

Time flys . . .

In this excellent piece of potential impossibility
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Sep ... antum.html

An object is moved by perception . . . as is heat
Perception alters reality. Soon they will prove that 1=2
(one object in two places)

. . . meanwhile at tmxxine . . .
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage

It is possible that time is not exactly a dimension (who knows?) but other time lines may exist in other dimensions. In other words, in a theoretical multiverse, every time and possibility exists.

There may be a lot of dark matter in this universe, add that to the next and the next . . .

Any news? Anyone build a time machine? :)
Open Source Time Travel
Tmxxine
lobster
Mononian

Postby Hugh » Wed May 16, 2007 6:49 pm

lobster wrote:In other words, in a theoretical multiverse, every time and possibility exists.

This is a thought that I have had for a long time. That the "whole universe" includes all possibilities and all timelines possible.

Consider the following type of arrangement:

Now, the marble drops down and hits different nails as it rolls downward, and changes direction each time. In the end, it can only end up in one of 5 different positions.

Consider the universe as the entire board, nails, marble and pathways.

Consider the nails as being points of possible changes, the marble as being the energy and matter that makes up the universe, and the pathways as being different possible timelines.

Is it possible that the entire universe is already "pre-made" in a sense, as the board is?

Is it possible that as we make different choices in our lives, then our consciousness just goes down that particular timeline that is already available "through the maze of all possibilities"?

Is "time" just the dimension along the length of the entire "pre-made" universe?

Would it be possible to move "sideways" instead of just "down" within that pre-existing maze, and move to another timeline?

If the matter and energy that makes us up already exists in all possible timelines since our birth, how do we move our "consciousness" to those other timelines?

Is it possible to move our consciousness to pre-existing timelines before our birth or long after our death?

Interesting food for thought. :D
Hugh
Tetronian

Postby Nick » Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm

The idea that there exist an infinite number of universe, where in each universe every single possible combination of decisions is made, is as strange and obscure and likely as the Theory of Everything I mentioned in the other forum. It also seems pointless, since these universes, regardless of whether they exist or not, have no effect on the one we live in, so what is the purpose of discussing it?
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby Hugh » Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 pm

Nick wrote:The idea that there exist an infinite number of universe, where in each universe every single possible combination of decisions is made, is as strange and obscure and likely as the Theory of Everything I mentioned in the other forum. It also seems pointless, since these universes, regardless of whether they exist or not, have no effect on the one we live in, so what is the purpose of discussing it?

Well, it may be that the whole complete universe contains all possible timelines, and that it may be possible to travel from one timeline to another, within the same universe, or along a timeline at a different rate or direction than we are accustomed to.
Hugh
Tetronian

Postby Nick » Wed May 16, 2007 11:04 pm

Hugh wrote:
Nick wrote:The idea that there exist an infinite number of universe, where in each universe every single possible combination of decisions is made, is as strange and obscure and likely as the Theory of Everything I mentioned in the other forum. It also seems pointless, since these universes, regardless of whether they exist or not, have no effect on the one we live in, so what is the purpose of discussing it?

Well, it may be that the whole complete universe contains all possible timelines, and that it may be possible to travel from one timeline to another, within the same universe, or along a timeline at a different rate or direction than we are accustomed to.

Regardless, it's still an obscure and pointless concept. In fact, saying that multiple timelines exist in the same universe is harder to believe.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby Hugh » Wed May 16, 2007 11:15 pm

Nick wrote:In fact, saying that multiple timelines exist in the same universe is harder to believe.

If one could view our universe from the "outside", and "beyond time" if I could phrase it that way, we might see it as something similar in concept to the picture of the nailboard a few posts back... of course much, much more complex... :D
Hugh
Tetronian

Wild wide thoughts

Postby lobster » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:02 am

Hugh wrote:
lobster wrote:Would it be possible to move "sideways" instead of just "down" within that pre-existing maze, and move to another timeline?

If the matter and energy that makes us up already exists in all possible timelines since our birth, how do we move our "consciousness" to those other timelines?

Is it possible to move our consciousness to pre-existing timelines before our birth or long after our death?

Interesting food for thought. :D

What you imagine is real
http://brothersjuddblog.com/archives/20 ... e_dig.html

There is some evidence that biological organisms (including us) use quantum tunneling. In other words consciousness can occur independent of brain function (long thought impossible).
http://science.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=6321

that was on our newspage for March 2007
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=MarchNews

In many cultures breaking into other dimensions (which we consider internal mind states) is a norm, whether through ritual trance, drugs, fasting and so on. The present insistence on a narrow definition of time and space as a mathematical and physics model, may be limiting the potential breakthroughs.

Think wide. If it seems impossible. Think wider.
Open Source Time Travel
Tmxxine
lobster
Mononian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions