time traveller

Discussion of theories involving time as a dimension, time travel, relativity, branes, and so on, usually applying to the "real" universe which we live in.

time traveller

Postby Upsilon » Thu May 26, 2005 8:25 pm

ok, I'd just like to know if this is true. The theory of going the speed of light is a good one at that. But isn't there also a theory that when you reach that speed your mass becomes like 10 times (some abitratry number) what it was orginally was and your density goes through the roof?...because of this we can't travel safely at the speed of light. But I have heard that when you go at very high speeds because you direction and magintude are so high something needs to compensate. Which would be time...and time slows down. which means we could maybe go back in time. I've seen this done with atomic clocks and high tech planes that travel at high speeds along the atmosphere....has anyone heard of this or can give a better understanding of speed of light travel?
the most interesting and intellectual people in the world talk about ideas, not things or themselves.
Upsilon
Mononian

Postby jinydu » Thu May 26, 2005 11:11 pm

What you have in mind is 2 effects of Special Relativity:

1) If you observe an object moving at a very high speed, you will measure their mass as being greater than its rest mass

2) If you observe an object moving at a very high speed, you will observe its clocks as running slower than it would if it were at rest

However, note that there is no such thing as absolute rest or motion. There is only relative motion. Thus, while you may observe these effects happening to someone, when that person observes himself, he will see nothing out of the ordinary, since he is at rest in his own frame of reference.

Furthermore, in order to observe someone's clock as running backwards, that person would have to travel faster than the speed of light in your frame of reference, which (according to Special Relativity) would require infinite energy, and is therefore imposible.
jinydu
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Thu May 26, 2005 11:45 pm

A one-pound mass moving at a speed near that of light still weighs itself as one pound. It is that someone who is relatively still will see it as 10 lb.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Upsilon » Fri May 27, 2005 12:37 am

If you are travelling at near speed of light. What would your perspective of people moving at realtive motion be?
the most interesting and intellectual people in the world talk about ideas, not things or themselves.
Upsilon
Mononian

Postby Upsilon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:14 pm

ok say if there's a black hole. Not your typical one on that is a donut shape. It's rotating and has a positive charge to it. The hole have negative charge. Would you be able to enter it throught the middle. Giving that it's held open from gravity slaming it shut for you to get through?
Upsilon
Mononian

Postby brasileiro » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:44 am

Well, I suppose that you're view, if moving at near, or light speed, of people moving in relative motion, would be that they seem EXTREMELY SLOW, or even motionless. We may never know... we can only assume.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
~Albert Einstein

If you teach someone in the 2nd dimension, they will live in the 2nd dimension... if you teach them in the 3rd, they will live in the 3rd.
brasileiro
Dionian

time

Postby Flawless » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:23 am

your mind compensates for the lack of or absence of movement at a normal to you pace fire trucks become red and white automobiles body mind and spirit become counterparts. Has it been tested to know if we already ARE moving at the or near the speed of light ?? our universe that is ... i believe that we are and time travle is not that energy intensive.
Flawless
Mononian

Re: time

Postby jinydu » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:34 pm

Flawless wrote:your mind compensates for the lack of or absence of movement at a normal to you pace fire trucks become red and white automobiles body mind and spirit become counterparts. Has it been tested to know if we already ARE moving at the or near the speed of light ?? our universe that is ... i believe that we are and time travle is not that energy intensive.

Not the easiest-to-read post I've ever seen.

Your question about whether the universe is moving near the speed of light is meaningless. Remember that the speed of an object is relative to a particular frame of reference. So the universe is moving near the speed of light, relative to what?
jinydu
Tetronian

Return to Non-Spatial Dimensions